Omeo -30 trout in two days

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Omeo -30 trout in two days

Post by Truedogz » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:14 pm

There are few posts in the fly fishing section of Fishing Victoria so here is the first for 2018 - hopefully others can add a few threads this year!

I chase both trout and cod on the surface - compare the tackle! :rofl:
tackle comparison.jpg
My original plan was to head out to Gippsland chasing blackfish and bass this week. When I saw the BOM forecasts for 40C+ temperatures I chickened out and sort out the cool of the high country near Omeo:
Roof of Victoria.jpg
I camped in an absolutely magic spot, the last public access for many kms on this stream:
Magic Spot.jpg
I headed off down a brumby track that arvo and within 15 minutes came across 3 snakes - a big black and 2 tigers including this chap:
Oh we are from tiger land.jpg
I am definitely not Robbie Alexander, I hate snakes! And guess what? I forgot to put a headlamp in my pocket :oops: . After seeing the snakes I wasn't keen on walking out in the dark with no lamp. So the first session was a short one. The stream is very pretty, alternating between grassy banks and dense tea tree:
Alpine stream.jpg
I saw plenty of trout with some rising. It took a while to work out which fly to use. Initially the ones I used were too big (large stimulators) and the trout were taking them but not getting hooked - about 1 in 6 takes hooked up. So I downsized to smaller flies, white moths and blue dunns and the hookup rate increased to about 80%! I also shortened my leader to about 6 ft. I ended up landing 9 trout for the session in the range 20 to 35 cm. Due to snakeophobia I gave it away early:
typical brown.jpg
Next morning I tried celtas and sps with no fish landed and only a couple of lookers. So I went back to flies and headed off early - this time with a head lamp - and hiked about 10 km before I started fishing. The formula with a short leader and blue dunns worked a treat. I landed 21 trout for the arvo, fishing till virtually dark. This fish was the second biggest I landed. No brag matt but going on the marks on my rod it is over 40 cm:
40cm brown.jpg
The biggest would have been close to 45 and in better nick. I laid him on a steep bank for a quick pic and while setting up the camera he flipped around and despite my best efforts ended up back in the drink. I could have played it safe and carried him right up to the top of the bank, but it was steep and I try to get the fish back into water ASAP. I took the risk and lost. No photo but he was grassed, a beautiful deep gold brown magnificent fish. :banana: Most fish were in the 20 to 35 cm range, all browns.

I hiked out in the dark following the brumby pads getting back to camp about midnight. Next day I slept in, then packed up camp and drove off to another stream which I will report in another thread.

I found it difficult to sleep and kept thinking that trout fishing doesn't get better than this! Fly fishing is a great way to catch trout and and a lot of fun - don't be put off by all of the nonsense promoted by the elites in the trout fishing fraternity. Sometimes when the fish are fussy flies will outfish lures and bait. And most fish in some fashion can be caught on flies.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Omeo -30 trout in two days

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:25 pm

Well done sound like a ausome 2 days

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:35 pm

nice work what weight fly rod

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:48 pm

What a way to spend a couple of days great report. I'm thinking of investing in some snake proof gaiters just for peace of mind when I'm in those types of surrounds.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:55 pm

Great report and some cracking fish Will :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:57 pm

Great report and pics :thumbsup:

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:12 pm

dazz999 wrote:nice work what weight fly rod
6 wt, with weight forward line. A bit heavy for such a small stream, but I reckon it is the best allrounder. Shortening leaders to 5 to 6 feet helps a lot. In the tighter situations you need to use a 'bow and arrow' cast. Through traditional casting I progressively shortened my leader getting hung up in trees behind me etc. So in the end I didn't change my leader just let it get shorter to the point when I couldn't tie the fly on! And when I did put on a new leader I shortened it straight away from 9 ft to 7 ft - it helped heaps with the casting plus pushing through the scrub.

I got one trout by simply dangling the fly over a grass bank and onto the water.

The key though is to get away from people, particularly at this time of the year. I plan on walking a 20 km round trip to get good fishing. Also, don't let the fish see you - thats why I wear green clothing.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:24 pm

If I saw 3 snakes in the first 15 minutes I would have won any sprint race in the world and got the f*ck out of there ;-)
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:42 pm

Boonanza wrote:If I saw 3 snakes in the first 15 minutes I would have won any sprint race in the world and got the f*ck out of there ;-)
Sorry for the hijack Will.

We best not tell you what we've had at camp, before you turn up to the Cod trip then Boony :a_goodjob:

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Nice work Will, some great looking water there.

I've been using a 2wt for the small streamsfor a bit of fun but if I was to nominate a best all rounder it would probably be a 8'6 5wt or possibly a 8' 4wt.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”