Entry level 6/7 weight

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Entry level 6/7 weight

Post by ducky » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:34 pm

G'day all.

So today I bought a nitro innovator distance 6/7 weight rod. I need an entry level reel and line to go with it.

The plan is to chase salmon in the bay with it but potentially trout one day. Moreso as a fun alternative when the salmon are going nuts though.

Not after anything expensive. Just want the "sienna" of the fly fishing world so to speak. The tackle store I bought the rod at suggested a 7 weight floating line with a sinking tip. Any line suggestions will be welcome. Fly line definitely is exxy stuff.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Entry level 6/7 weight

Post by mazman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:57 pm

for the line you will probably want to start with an intermediate or slow sinking line, this will give you good versatility especially in the salt. a sink tip line will only really cover the top of the water column
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:43 pm

The boys said a sink tip is a better all rounder as I said I may use it trouting. A full sinking line apparently is a pain for wading.

I know nothing about fly fishing. But have always wanted to have a go.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:02 pm

A sink tip is a pain to cast, as it is very difficult to lift the line out of the water. The first part of the beginning of the cast is ok, as you are lifting the floating line, the next is real pain, as the tip has sunk, creating more drag and it feels really heavy.

Tried a sink tip fly line, once and gave it away.

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:21 pm

get a cheap reel with two spools. get the best line you can you can afford. Floating 6wt for trout eg GPX by Scientific Angler and an intermediate clear for saltwater in the bay eg 6wt Striper by SA as well. make sure when using the reel in salt water to wash the line and reel thoroughly. the reel itself just holds the line. we have nothing in victoria that requires a super smooth drag system. the palm of your hand can control the spool when the fish is taking line. Two most important equipment in flyfishing in victoria is the rod and the fly line.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Great thread duckster.

I've been interested in the same thing for a while. Lemme know how it goes, I might pick up a cheapo fly outfit and we can make fools out of ourselves together.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:17 pm

ecoronad wrote:get a cheap reel with two spools. get the best line you can you can afford. Floating 6wt for trout eg GPX by Scientific Angler and an intermediate clear for saltwater in the bay eg 6wt Striper by SA as well. make sure when using the reel in salt water to wash the line and reel thoroughly. the reel itself just holds the line. we have nothing in victoria that requires a super smooth drag system. the palm of your hand can control the spool when the fish is taking line. Two most important equipment in flyfishing in victoria is the rod and the fly line.
Thanks for the reply wooly.

Ecoranad. Whats reel would you suggest. Happy to get one with two spools but in the early days I'll only be spooling one. I had a blue manic reel in my hands that was around $160 but decided to sleep on it to work out what would be best.

Thanks for the replies guys

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:58 pm

your definition of cheap is slightly different to mine duckster. I picked up a 5/6wt rod from the closing down sale in coburg for $20, ebayed a reel for $15 ish. Plan is to put a dent in the local carp population. trying to figure out what line to run now so i'll be watching this thread closely

dougie if you're interested, they had 7wt rods too

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:09 pm

$160 was the reason I decided to sleep on it basti. Haha.

The rod was $99.95 at the sale. Hence I bit the bullet. But the line was another $90 and the reel was $160 so I thought I might be better off doing a bit of research first.

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:05 pm

The rod was $99.95 at the sale. Hence I bit the bullet. But the line was another $90 and the reel was $160 so I thought I might be better off doing a bit of research first.
Ducky, the lines i mentioned usually sell for around $110-$130 retail. If you are going to scrimp on something, make it the reel. spools usually retail around %50 for the price of the reel. so a $160 reel will cost an extra $80 for a spare spool. $99.95 for the rod is a good buy. you will find the 9ft 6/7 wt rod good for the lakes or the tail race rivers like the goulburn or the Mitta Mitta, but a pain in the butt around the smaller streams like the rubicon. Just doing a quick look on google, there's a few options around the $100 mark for a reasonable fly reel such as the Gillies guide series. Remember you need to have backing as well (retail around $20 for dacron). If you were thinking primarily salmon, then go for the intermediate line. You can use the same line on estuary perch at anderson's inlet over the weedbeds or the Hopkins River. Once you get your casting in order, then you can start thinking trout.....
I picked up a 5/6wt rod from the closing down sale in coburg for $20, ebayed a reel for $15 ish. Plan is to put a dent in the local carp population
Basti, you can use any cheap fly reels for carp as more than likely, you will be fishing areas where if they run for more than 20 metres, it'll be good night and time to re tie a new bread fly.

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”