Lake Purrumbete

BrynnF

Lake Purrumbete

Post by BrynnF » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:12 pm

On Thursday, Friday and Saturday I fished Lake Purrumbete. It was pretty windy every especially Friday which made thing a little difficult but it was a great few days. On the Thursday I arrived and went out fishing with a friend in his boat. For that day we got about 4 Chinook Salmon in the boat and I caught one of them (which was my first salmon). There were two distinctive sizes, some were about 20-25cm long and some 35-40cm long. That afternoon (just before dark) the fish were really biting, my friend hooked a brown which looked to be about 3 lb but it got off at the last second and had a very good take that did a nice run and then got busted off.

On the second day we had a really good morning but in the afternoon everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. In the morning we landed about 4 salmon I caught only one of them again and my friend caught two of his on the same line at the same time. As the salmon went quiet we moved and drifted in another spot and I landed the only brown for the 3 days which weighed 4 lb and was 55cm long, it put up a good fight and was a very good looking fish. That afternoon my friend broke his $90 fly line in the motor propeller, I lost 6 flies to the same snag, I also had my line caught in the motor, because of the strong winds we were drifting to shore quickly and because the motor would not start because of the tangle we had to jump out of the boat and hold it near the shore while my friend took 20mins to undo all the knots we had made, luckily my fly line made it away with only a little nick in it. After all that it was about 5pm and very windy so we just called it a day and went back to the boat ramp.

Saturday was a little less windier and we had some sunshine as well as some hail. Again in the morning we caught some salmon me 1 and my friend 2, it went quiet for the day then just before dark we got some 3 more salmon.

The fishing was overall pretty good but a little disappointed there wasn't more trout around. In terms of fly choice, the fish were not to fussy just needed to find the fish.
Attachments
IMG_20140712_182909_resized.jpg
IMG_20140710_183638_resized.jpg
IMG_20140710_183638_resized.jpg (185.26 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
IMG_20140711_182930_resized.jpg
2014-07-11 12.50.10_resized_1.jpg

Rod Bender

Re: Lake Purrumbete

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:21 pm

Too bad about the mishaps but It seems you still went well! Great pics too!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:24 pm

Thats great fishing mate

Great read !!

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:40 pm

Nice work, some great looking fish there.
What fly did you get the salmon on I still haven't been able to hook one?
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Thanks for the report! That was a great read.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

andyk

Post by andyk » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:44 pm

Good work mate the salmon can put up a good fight cant wait until they get bigger . I never went down this weekend had to work otherwise might have bumped in to ya , there has been over 150 mm of rain there in the last 2 weeks and the water fall is running in at the moment the lake is filling up fast. Well done on the fish if ya down there next time pm me ill give ya a few spots to try if im there witch is a good chance as im there every weekend just about.
Andrew.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:14 pm

Were you using a drogue to slow your drift I have a mate who flyfishes and uses one all the time. good looking fish, I fished there years ago trolling along the weed beds hooked a fish in the heat of battle the boat drifted into the weed bed when I started the engine to get out of the weed bed bang the engine stalled I trimmed it up I had picked up an eel net with stainless steel hoops took ages to get it off my now severely bent prop.

Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:11 pm

Top stuff - excellent trout that one

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:16 pm

Top report :thumbsup: :thumbsup: look's bloody cold down there.

BrynnF

Post by BrynnF » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:44 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments. Yeah we were using a drogue but the wind was very strong and sometimes the drogue would not set properly at times.

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”