Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Stevenson river 10/2/2019

Post by Sebb » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks smile, lightning, happy.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:02 pm

Nice mate. Water looks nice, sure to be a big one lurking there somewhere. I'd for sure be having another crack there when it cools off. :thumbsup:

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Great effort and report Seb! Did the area receive rain a few days prior? I would have guessed the river was low except you said it was good flow. Rivers and creeks here in northern Vic are very low unless they have irrigation water moving through. Some creeks that flow into the Goulburn here in Shepparton are primed to cause a blackwater event if we get a downpour.

On another note, Marysville is my favourite day tripping area. The floodlit waterfall is magic!
Cheers
Jim

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:29 pm

April Fool wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:19 pm
Great effort and report Seb! Did the area receive rain a few days prior? I would have guessed the river was low except you said it was good flow. Rivers and creeks here in northern Vic are very low unless they have irrigation water moving through. Some creeks that flow into the Goulburn here in Shepparton are primed to cause a blackwater event if we get a downpour.

On another note, Marysville is my favourite day tripping area. The floodlit waterfall is magic!
Cheers
Jim
Yeah there was a bit of rain but not much. Lower than the last time I went there in spring but still in good comfortable level. I've seen lower.
Stevenson river near Marysville is always clear.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:32 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:08 am
My wife had to work yesterday 12-8pm, to I thought I could call a mate and sneak in some afternoon fishing.

Another half an hour, we were at Marysville that just "celebrated" the 10 years Black Saturday. It was definitely a dark time. Now Marysville is fully rebuilt.
I kinda miss the old Marysville and regret that I didn't spend much time there before Black Saturday. (I wonder where all the Marysville yowies now)

Odd, my mate changed lures few times, didn't get a hit neither a follow. Last spring, he caught more on lures and I was struggling. Yesterday was the other way around.

Awesome report seb85 for what seemed to be an awesome day out. Loved it immensely. Adrian sure has some competition in the report/photo stakes with you. You've obviously taken a course in the meppstas University with "Report Writing 101", "Photographic Presentation" and my favourite "Gentleman Essentials". Well done.

Yes the Marysville 10 year Commemorations would have been moving, you may not have spent a lot of time there before, but glad you are enjoying it now.

On the enjoying , , , , sneaking out while the wife is out, put a smile on my face, I remember a report or two of Adrian's, saying the same. Nice to see the next generation coming through , , , , and with an innate ability to "seize the moment" for a fishing session. And some nice trout too, well done.

Also glad for you getting one up on ya mate, sad for him but happy for you , , , , a very complex & confusing emotion, , , , nah, enjoy it when it does fall your way.

frustrated-fisherman.jpg
frustrated-fisherman.jpg (13.05 KiB) Viewed 4914 times

Aaaaah seb, your eyes must of been concentrating too much on the trout to notice the Marysville Yowie.

Yowie seb85.PNG
Yowie seb85.PNG (240.68 KiB) Viewed 4914 times

Cheers, Bugatti

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:53 am

Bugatti wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:32 pm
Awesome report seb85 for what seemed to be an awesome day out. Loved it immensely. Adrian sure has some competition in the report/photo stakes with you. You've obviously taken a course in the meppstas University with "Report Writing 101", "Photographic Presentation" and my favourite "Gentleman Essentials". Well done.
:rofl: good one Bugatti.
I admit, TAS has beautiful scenery and great trout fishery, hard to beat. VIC north-east rivers have their charms too though.
Bugatti wrote:
On the enjoying , , , , sneaking out while the wife is out, put a smile on my face, I remember a report or two of Adrian's, saying the same. Nice to see the next generation coming through , , , , and with an innate ability to "seize the moment" for a fishing session. And some nice trout too, well done.
Hahaha, did he say that too? :rofl:
Life's changed after marriage. The spouse is called a partner for a reason, gotta negotiate.
Yes the fishing schedule is not as flexible, but that's usually why we appreciate more of the time we have. As in the time in fishing time :P
Bugatti wrote:
Also glad for you getting one up on ya mate, sad for him but happy for you , , , , a very complex & confusing emotion, , , , nah, enjoy it when it does fall your way.
:a_goodjob: I did get his interest back though. Getting people to start fly fishing can be hard. I remember when I started fly fishing, it was $1000 and 3 years commitments I had to make. Rod, reel, line, wader, entomology book, etc was easily in total of $1000 and took me 3 years as fly fishing apprentice to be able to cast properly and confident of catching fish. Worth it though.
Bugatti wrote:

Aaaaah seb, your eyes must of been concentrating too much on the trout to notice the Marysville Yowie.

Yowie seb85.PNG

Cheers, Bugatti
:notworthy: ooo Bugatti the master of the forest, the chosen one with sharp eyes and hands of photo artist.
That's how the yowie does it, sneaking and checking on unaware anglers. I hope they dont drop and attack in surprise, like the drop bears.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:52 am

Great work it's a pretty special area, that is home to quite a few trout.
I checked out the lower stevenson on the way back from some other systems this week and found it was running warm, and slightly coloured. Picked up three on lure in the quick little flick I had. Hopefully a bit more rain will drop the temps again to make it a bit more comfortable for them.

Quick note as well vic closed season is from the end of the queens birthday weekend to the first saturday in september which means this year closed season in is from 12:01am on Tuesday 11 June until 11:59pm on Friday 6 September. It works out roughly the same each year but I presume they wanted to have a opening weekend and closing weekend each year rather than it falling midweek.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:21 am

mazman wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:52 am
Great work it's a pretty special area, that is home to quite a few trout.
I checked out the lower stevenson on the way back from some other systems this week and found it was running warm, and slightly coloured. Picked up three on lure in the quick little flick I had. Hopefully a bit more rain will drop the temps again to make it a bit more comfortable for them.
Yes, I noticed the water was not as cold as usual. Though cooler in the upper areas, I think it was warm enough to stress the fish and to seek refuge in deeper cooler pools.
mazman wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:52 am
Quick note as well vic closed season is from the end of the queens birthday weekend to the first saturday in september which means this year closed season in is from 12:01am on Tuesday 11 June until 11:59pm on Friday 6 September. It works out roughly the same each year but I presume they wanted to have a opening weekend and closing weekend each year rather than it falling midweek.

Good info, thanks mazman. I assume, starting this year and to the future. It was always flat 1st June - 31 Aug, wasn't it?

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”