Hire Boats

Fishing charters and hire boats around Melbourne and Victoria
fishsticks

Re: Hire Boats

Post by fishsticks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:48 pm

Both hire boats and charters are pretty expensive. Plus i never feel as though ive properly caught fish when on a charter , as you don't get to sound or use GPS and you dont get to drive your own boat. Plus Fishing is fishing , you could have all the knowledge you wanted, and not catch a fish, remember , it's really a form of hunting, so it takes time and patience.

Mornington boat hire is probably the cheapest in an easily accessible place. About 250 for 8 hours, no licence. Paul Pingaru is very knowledgeable and will let you know where to head to catch some snapper.

St Leonards or Beachlee boat hire is also cheap, $60 for the first 2 hours and $20 an hour after that. The guy is nice and usually cuts the price(have done 8 hours for 80 dollars which is a bargain.

Blueys in mordi is the worst, $650 for 8 hours, which make you think, if you c an buy a brand new tinny for $3000 why would you bother hiring his boats for 8 hours?
Not to mention that Bluey or the guy that runs the place is a total douche bag and as rude as they come.

Theres a new place in williamstown called Boab Boat hire, once again $600 for 8 hours so why bother.

Best thing to do, save your money and go buy a boat of your own. Stick to the piers and cheap boat hire places until you can afford a boat. It's what i did and it kept me a happy enough fisherman until i bought my boat.

Hope that helps
In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone. –Ray Bergman

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:37 am

Charters aren't that expensive really.
Gawaine Blake of 'Big Time' charters starts his charters at around $125 for a 6hr trip.
That's pretty good value IMO & if yer just startin out it's an excellent way to gain some experience.
The other charter I'd recommend is 'Reel Time' charters with Matt Cini - another top operator.
Heading out on one of these charters should give you enough of a feel to do a bit of boating yerself if you still want to hire a boat & there's no reason why you shouldn't.
Last edited by Bartnmax on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Linc

Post by Linc » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:53 pm

I’d 2nd the option of Mornington Boat hire, I’ve hired boats from Mordi before and didn’t think much of the noisy old putt-putts from Allnut and steered well clear of bluey’s and they ridiculous prices. Have hired from Mornington 3 times and once from the same guy at Yaringa. The boats go very slow – well and truly under the 10knot limit (without a license) but they do get you to places to fish that you won’t have a chance landbased. And you always have the option of drifting for flatties if you’re after a feed and can’t find any snapper.

In regards to buying a boat, since I bought mine last month I’ve never looked back, but it is good to have some boating experience before you head out in your own boat so definitely do a charter if you’ve never fished from a boat before and then try a hire boat – if you enjoy both – start saving!

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:47 am

yeah if i were going to rent a boat i would go to mornington. mordi blue boats are ridiculously priced. if i wanted to go fishing on a boat and spend that much money i would go on a charter. 650 for a 8 hour trip is ridiculous when you can go on a 6 hour charter for less than 200. and at least on a charter you have a better chance of catching some fish.

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:08 am

Tomcat1 wrote: 650 for a 8 hour trip is ridiculous when you can go on a 6 hour charter for less than 200.
Bloody hell. Does the guy running these charters also wear a steel helmut made from a plough share?
That's not ridiculous, it's downright bloody stupidity.
Do they actually manage to get anyone hiring their boats at those rates?
If they do then it just reinforces that money can't buy common sense.
Gotta obviously be a tax dodge as he can't be making much of a living from it with those rates.

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:30 am

he gets a lot of people hiring them for like 2 hours i think
not many pay for the whole day.
2 hours i think is 150 dollars which to me is just robbery.
i rather take my chances on the pier or on the beach

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:13 pm

Don't know anyone could compare that price with heading out on a charter with Matt Cini or Gawaine Blake.
Those guys know their stuff, just about always produce great fish for their clients, & run bloody enjoyable charters.
Fer yer $150 I know which one I'd definitely prefer.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:04 pm

Me too those hire boat prices seem insane.

Sonny

Post by Sonny » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:40 pm

I want to treat myself & my work partner a day fishing either by charter or preferably, if anyone on this forum allows, could I pay you to take us fishing for a day in your boat?

I've been on the charters before, it was fine but I think I'd rather your inside knowledge of where to go how to fish etc.

The catch is I'd like it before Xmas, as I will treat it as our work breakup of sorts. Only the two of us. Its been a tough year, had to let a few workers go.
Last edited by Sonny on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

minimal

Post by minimal » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 pm

Bartnmax wrote:Don't know anyone could compare that price with heading out on a charter with Matt Cini or Gawaine Blake.
Those guys know their stuff, just about always produce great fish for their clients, & run bloody enjoyable charters.
Fer yer $150 I know which one I'd definitely prefer.

I haven't been on those, however even as a newbie, I didn't enjoy the charter I went on. It was like painting by numbers - you didn't need to do ANYTHING, other than bait up your hook and literally drop it into the water. We caught a couple of nice snapper, but there was not much sport to it and zero thought process.

However, I suspect the guys mention above might be more catered towards people who want a trip that enables them to try out fishing techniques on a boat with a bit of guidance vs. being literally spoonfed?

Edit: I did ENJOY the charter - but I would have LOVED it if I could have tried out my own things and used my own gear..

Return to “Fishing Charters and Boat Hire”