First kayak, and first fish on it!

GTSHoon

Re: First kayak, and first fish on it!

Post by GTSHoon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:57 am

docta wrote:
GTSHoon wrote:
docta wrote:
GTSHoon wrote:I'm so jealous mate I want to buy one, which anaconda and was it on sale or just a quick sell?
Bayswater! Narre don't have any. If your lucky bayswater may still have one! Was on sale for below cost. All their stuff is on sale - yes that includes all fishing gear lol :)
Awesome ill be down there ASAP
It's called an Emotion Charger
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371426020.965663.jpg
How many we're left?
Thanks for the info
Cam :thumbsup:
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

agj_h

Post by agj_h » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:01 am

Picked up this Beatty from anacondas below cost sale for $225!
RRP is $999
Anaconda claim to purchase them for 650...
With seat and paddle I was set up for just on 350.
Absolute bargain I thought and so two mates also invested, very stable and nice kayak (not that I know anything about them)
Took her out to blue rock this afternoon and got a nice brown trout second cast and we'd only been on the water for literally 5 minutes!
Had an absolute ball

I got a similar one last year (SEAK brand) for around the same price from Anaconda. Loving it and never looked back. Just to be able to get that little bit out from shore opens you up to a whole lot more opportunity (even if it's just 50 meters or so).

You will need to add some rod holders for convenience. In my case I added 2 x flush mounted rod holders on each side just behind the seat (dont be afraid to have a crack with the drill and hole saw) and also another quick release, removable rod holder for in front of my sitting position. This one which works really well:

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/prod ... 0938#Cross" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next project will be installing an anchor trolley which allows you to adjust the angle of the anchor/sea anchor so that you can always be facing the direction you want to be fishing in despite wind or tide.

Good luck with it.

docta

Post by docta » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:05 pm

agj_h wrote:
Picked up this Beatty from anacondas below cost sale for $225!
RRP is $999
Anaconda claim to purchase them for 650...
With seat and paddle I was set up for just on 350.
Absolute bargain I thought and so two mates also invested, very stable and nice kayak (not that I know anything about them)
Took her out to blue rock this afternoon and got a nice brown trout second cast and we'd only been on the water for literally 5 minutes!
Had an absolute ball

I got a similar one last year (SEAK brand) for around the same price from Anaconda. Loving it and never looked back. Just to be able to get that little bit out from shore opens you up to a whole lot more opportunity (even if it's just 50 meters or so).

You will need to add some rod holders for convenience. In my case I added 2 x flush mounted rod holders on each side just behind the seat (dont be afraid to have a crack with the drill and hole saw) and also another quick release, removable rod holder for in front of my sitting position. This one which works really well:

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/prod ... 0938#Cross" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next project will be installing an anchor trolley which allows you to adjust the angle of the anchor/sea anchor so that you can always be facing the direction you want to be fishing in despite wind or tide.

Good luck with it.
I'm hearing you mate, just that 50m can make the difference! As I found out yesterday.
Yeah I've been looking at the rod holders and was going to do exact same mounting scenario as your self. Thanks for the link! Definately want to be able to remove the rod holder between your legs so I don't snap it off in transit.
Will be looking into the anchor for sure, thanks for the info,
What rivets/well nuts did you use to mount things on your yak? I replaced all the plastic mounting saddles with stainless ones and just standard pop rivets, lent back on the backrest of the seat and it just pulled the rivets right out. Any suggestions? I've herd people use well nuts and tri rivets...
Cheers rob
Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths...

CrazyChenski

Post by CrazyChenski » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:53 pm

Congrat. Just a friendly suggestion. May I suggest you gents to read up abit on the safety section in Vyak, as they contain a wealth of information/knowledge/experiences from Kayak fishmen. Although budget maybe tight, some safety items are definitely worth of investment.

Hope you see you out on water sometime, as I also fishing off kayak mostly as well.

agj_h

Post by agj_h » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks for the link! Definately want to be able to remove the rod holder between your legs so I don't snap it off in transit.
Will be looking into the anchor for sure, thanks for the info,
What rivets/well nuts did you use to mount things on your yak? I replaced all the plastic mounting saddles with stainless ones and just standard pop rivets, lent back on the backrest of the seat and it just pulled the rivets right out. Any suggestions? I've herd people use well nuts and tri rivets..
I'll put up a few pics when I get a chance. In my case - the seat straps attach to anchor points embedded in the plastic body of the yak so have had no dramas with that aspect.

With the front mounted rod holder per link - the fitting that the rod holder slots into can be mounted so it's either facing up or down. In my case (like you) I didn't want anything sticking out/up for transit so I drilled an appropriate sized hole and mounted it so it's pointing down into the hull so that the fitting ends up sitting flat against the hull. When you remove the top rod holder portion in between trips you just have the flat faced fitting left that doesn't get in the way of anything.

I made sure I used stainless steel screws with any of the rod holder fittings and these have worked fine just drilling a small pilot hole and screwing up tight (also used some silicon to seal and a bit of glue under the front rod holder for a bit of added strength since it was sitting flat against the hull anyway). Bolts and nuts would be better and maybe a stainless steel plat underneath for strength but there will be areas where it isn't possible to get underneath to fit. In any case, have been out fishing quite a few times and never had an issue with the fittings just using the stainless steel screws/glue/silicon.....

Edit - these are the 2 x flush mounted holders I got: http://www.kayaking.com.au/products/Flu ... h-cap.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got the ones with a cap that can cover the top when not in use but honestly never used the cap on either of the holders and didn't even fit it - so you could save a few bucks by getting the ones without the cap (around $5 each). Only issue is that these have a small drain hole in the bottom which is obviously no good in terms of you wanting to keep water out of your yak. In my case I simply cut up a bit of foam pool noodle, squashed this up and fitting it into the hole. No problems.

docta

Post by docta » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:36 pm

GTSHoon wrote:
docta wrote:
GTSHoon wrote:
docta wrote:
GTSHoon wrote:I'm so jealous mate I want to buy one, which anaconda and was it on sale or just a quick sell?
Bayswater! Narre don't have any. If your lucky bayswater may still have one! Was on sale for below cost. All their stuff is on sale - yes that includes all fishing gear lol :)
Awesome ill be down there ASAP
It's called an Emotion Charger
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371426020.965663.jpg
How many we're left?
Thanks for the info
Cam :thumbsup:
I'm not really sure mate there was soo many standing up. I know there was more than two when I was there
Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths...

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:28 pm

All gone :( apparently seaks will be the same price in a couple of weeks, I might wait for them :D
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

docta

Post by docta » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:39 pm

GTSHoon wrote:All gone :( apparently seaks will be the same price in a couple of weeks, I might wait for them :D
That sucks! I'd be checking everyday lol. Hope u get one in a few weeks mate!

docta

Post by docta » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:52 pm

CrazyChenski wrote:Congrat. Just a friendly suggestion. May I suggest you gents to read up abit on the safety section in Vyak, as they contain a wealth of information/knowledge/experiences from Kayak fishmen. Although budget maybe tight, some safety items are definitely worth of investment.

Hope you see you out on water sometime, as I also fishing off kayak mostly as well.
Thanks for the info mate, I'm definitely getting a PFD, was always on the list - regardless of price. Ill have a look at the site and absorb the info on there!
Might just run into ya one day!
What PFD could you recommend? One that doesn't ride or restrict arm movement too much...
Cheers rob

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:02 pm

This makes me want a yak bad, I might join you GTS and get one!
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

Return to “Show us your purchases”