my new toys just in time for snapper season

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: my new toys just in time for snapper season

Post by smile0784 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:43 pm

BIG GAV wrote:Yeah mate if ur chasing in ppb I'd be using that combo on reds! I use heavy sticks for the very tidal wp but ppb has next to none
Was thinking that but dodont know if it was too light.
I aquired 2 brand new 15 to 30lb terez rods which i matched up with 4000 stradic fx's woth 20lb braid..

Which i was thinking of using or they bit big for ppb?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:28 pm

2-5, 3-6 OR 4-7KG for PPB is plenty.if using lures make sure you can cast up to 1/4oz plus lure weight
so 1/2oz to be more carefull

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:34 pm

Im a bait fisherman. Can seem to get solf plastics to work

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:36 pm

Mite have to find a 3-6kg rod

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:14 am

The way I see it if I can get carp on 1-3kg rods n 6lb line can't see why I can't get a red on a 2-5 n 10lb in the bay. Saying that my snapper rods are 5-9kg sticks with 4000's on them but I fish western port more than ppb
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:00 am

Top end of bay no current can use light...bottom end of bay where the big gumbos r n some current.I'd use the heavy rods..
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:22 am

I know that some guys get them on 2-5 kilo sticks with 2500 reels using lures. Only problem is that you'd have trouble releasing a decent fish after the fight if you're that way inclined

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:37 am

Basti wrote:I know that some guys get them on 2-5 kilo sticks with 2500 reels using lures. Only problem is that you'd have trouble releasing a decent fish after the fight if you're that way inclined
That plus you cant use bigger plastics due to the weight and trying to work them properly might end up with a broken tip

snapper can be caught on 2-5kg rods easily, the issue arises when you get bycatch or when using baits or big lures and trying to cast them out. with bait you can just drop down near the boat, but plastics you will need to impart some sort of action and thats where the smaller rated rods will fail

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:45 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Basti wrote:I know that some guys get them on 2-5 kilo sticks with 2500 reels using lures. Only problem is that you'd have trouble releasing a decent fish after the fight if you're that way inclined
That plus you cant use bigger plastics due to the weight and trying to work them properly might end up with a broken tip

snapper can be caught on 2-5kg rods easily, the issue arises when you get bycatch or when using baits or big lures and trying to cast them out. with bait you can just drop down near the boat, but plastics you will need to impart some sort of action and thats where the smaller rated rods will fail
i dont know what you are trying to do with your plastics but i find a 2-5kg rod is more than capable to work and cast a large plastic, my biggest concern as basti pointed out is the release.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:16 pm

mazman wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

i dont know what you are trying to do with your plastics but i find a 2-5kg rod is more than capable to work and cast a large plastic, my biggest concern as basti pointed out is the release.
everyone has their own style of working a plastic.
a 7 inch plastic will most defenitely not be able to be worked well on a 2-5kg stick (unless its a broomstick ofcourse).
when you fish in 18m plus of water the water depth changes the way you work plastics.

shallow water is a whole different story.

Return to “Show us your purchases”