Top End - Sat 27/10/18

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Top End - Sat 27/10/18

Post by Scraglor » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:44 pm

Hi All,

I haven’t posted a great deal for one reason or another. But the fishing has been pretty good over the last few weeks, so thought I would throw one up.

Went out on Saturday for a bit of a gummy bash with my Dad, as we both prefer them too snapper. (We got on the board with them a couple of weeks ago so decided to target gummies instead after that.) We had gone out the weekend prior and landed a couple of nice table sized gummies, so thought we were in with a reasonable shot.

We typically fish around the top end of Westernport, and are both quite time poor, so target an hour or so around each side of a tide change. The 2.5-3 hour sessions have become a favourite because it leaves you plenty of time to get other stuff done later in the day.

One of the real pluses to fishing westernport over PPB is that you don’t have to get up at ungodly hours to catch first light, but just pick a change. So we launched at a leisurely 8:30am after a brief stop in at a garage sale we passed on the way there (where I picked up a tackle box full of lures,etc for $20!)

Dad was excited to try out some trevally he had picked up as bait, but unluckily for us he had left in the fridge. No worries, we will pick up some fresh bait out there. Next minute my 2-4kg Catana is loaded up with a 1.5kg Trevor, what are the odds? Cool, fresh bait sorted.

We had baits in the water for about 10 mins before one of the rods loaded up, and we heard the sound every fisherman dreams about, screaming drag. A few minutes later we had a nice gumbo on board, approx 7kg ish I think (don’t have scales on board atm so who knows) after this the tide really slowed and we battled through a few rays, banjos, etc. as the tide span us around we decided to fire up the pie oven and have a pie and a coffee while we waited for the tide to move the other way. Stupidly I wasn’t paying attention and as the wind was blowing against tide I collected the anchor rope on all my lines as we swung around. Had to bust them all off and re-tie. Doh.

Once the tide started moving again we had another buckle but on a lighter rod. Was a good fight on the lighter gear, with some good runs not long and another gummy on board, probably approx 4kg or so. It was about 10:30 now, so one last coffee and time to head in. No sooner had we made a cuppa and we get a knock on the side of the boat, and fisheries on jet skis had come to say hello. After a brief check of licenses, catches, etc we had a good laugh and they were on their way.

As I was winching the anchor up I thought, what the heck is that coming up over the bow? It was another gummy on one of my lost rigs! So I eagerly climbed out the front and collected another 4-5kg gummy. Bonus!

Ended up with three between the two of us, Not a bad way to spend a Saturday morning
Attachments
BE22A3BE-497C-4867-8F36-F0B49F2503C9.jpeg

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Top End - Sat 27/10/18

Post by Mattblack » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Awesome report...sounds like the fishing Gods were with you indeed!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:52 pm

nice fish great read I was at stoney point thurs fri and the fisheries were checking everyhing there boats licences etc.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:05 pm

Cheers for the report Scraglor. I'd take a gummy over a snapper any day.

I don't fish WP at all so forgive me but do you find you don't have to line up things like sun up/sun down with tides for your best chance because of WP's tidal flow compared to PPB? Meaning the bigger flow brings more bait and fish through?

Cheers, Anth

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:Cheers for the report Scraglor. I'd take a gummy over a snapper any day.

I don't fish WP at all so forgive me but do you find you don't have to line up things like sun up/sun down with tides for your best chance because of WP's tidal flow compared to PPB? Meaning the bigger flow brings more bait and fish through?

Cheers, Anth
Hey mate,

Pretty much. I used to fish only PPB and that first light period was critical to catching lots of good snapper consistently. (At least in my experience) this coming weekend is the best weekend of the year for it. Bagged out off Mordi like 6 years in a row or something on 5kg odd fish. In westernport with the huge tides it all really seems tied to the tide changes. Plus the variety is huge in WPB. I highly recommend giving westernport the time and effort to work out, I would choose it over PPB every time now

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:38 pm

nice mate, well done thats a cracker fish in the pic. Thanks for sharing
ill have to chase the reds at some stage soon, just feeling lazy atm
cheers

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:49 pm

Scraglor wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:Cheers for the report Scraglor. I'd take a gummy over a snapper any day.

Cheers, Anth
Hey mate,

Pretty much. I used to fish only PPB and that first light period was critical to catching lots of good snapper consistently. (At least in my experience) this coming weekend is the best weekend of the year for it. Bagged out off Mordi like 6 years in a row or something on 5kg odd fish. In westernport with the huge tides it all really seems tied to the tide changes. Plus the variety is huge in WPB. I highly recommend giving westernport the time and effort to work out, I would choose it over PPB every time now
Mate you're not wrong. It is critical when the fish are still firing up but once they come on I've had some mega sessions especially during the day.

I'd love to but it's just so far from me (Northern suburbs) I don't have enough time to seriously fish and workout WP which is a shame.

Cheers for the report mate. Hope to hear more soon

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:56 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Scraglor wrote:

Cheers, Anth
Hey mate,

Mate you're not wrong. It is critical when the fish are still firing up but once they come on I've had some mega sessions especially during the day.

I'd love to but it's just so far from me (Northern suburbs) I don't have enough time to seriously fish and workout WP which is a shame.

Cheers for the report mate. Hope to hear more soon
westernport is a whole different ball game, all the PPB gear usually will just not suffice, its bricks and heavy duty **** mainly for the bycatch you encounter .(mainly why i dont bother with it)
its actually a lot smaller area fishing wise if you have a good look at the maps compared to PPB. but the distance for you is quite a bit to justify not fishing it regularly..
certainly a lot more variety there...

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:15 pm

That's some neat work there Scrags..
Love my gummy fishing..

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:49 pm

purple5ive wrote:westernport is a whole different ball game, all the PPB gear usually will just not suffice, its bricks and heavy duty sh*t mainly for the bycatch you encounter .(mainly why i dont bother with it)
its actually a lot smaller area fishing wise if you have a good look at the maps compared to PPB. but the distance for you is quite a bit to justify not fishing it regularly..
certainly a lot more variety there...
The gear isn't the issue at all. It's just distance from me and really i'd like to be shown around a couple times by someone who knows the area before i start going on my own in my own boat.

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”