Quick WP report

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
User avatar
Mattblack
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 1255
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:08 pm
Location: South East Suburbs

Re: Quick WP report

Postby Mattblack » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:13 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
Redhunter wrote:Was a great w/e to be out on the water. Although not huge, you got a number on the board and come home with a nice feed and some good baits for the next sesh. Gotta call that a success I reckon mate!

Definitely a fun day on the water! A few fish for the table is just a bonus.

What's the best way to cook salmon guys?


The only salmon I'll eat are those that are prepped correctly. Firstly they need to be bled upon capture. Then filleted and skinned. Remove the rib bones and any excess bloodlines. Then lathered in flour and cooked in a pan or on the bbq with plenty of oil. Much of the crappy taste with salmon comes from the blood and skin, similar with snapper. Give it a try one day and you may be surprised.


Do you bleed your snapper?



Remove these ads.

User avatar
Kimtown
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Re: Quick WP report

Postby Kimtown » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:52 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Redhunter wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
Redhunter wrote:Was a great w/e to be out on the water. Although not huge, you got a number on the board and come home with a nice feed and some good baits for the next sesh. Gotta call that a success I reckon mate!

Definitely a fun day on the water! A few fish for the table is just a bonus.

What's the best way to cook salmon guys?


The only salmon I'll eat are those that are prepped correctly. Firstly they need to be bled upon capture. Then filleted and skinned. Remove the rib bones and any excess bloodlines. Then lathered in flour and cooked in a pan or on the bbq with plenty of oil. Much of the crappy taste with salmon comes from the blood and skin, similar with snapper. Give it a try one day and you may be surprised.


Do you bleed your snapper?

I've never done this and snapper taste fine to me lol

Lightningx
Rank: Mako Shark
Rank: Mako Shark
Posts: 8909
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:21 pm

Re: Quick WP report

Postby Lightningx » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:09 pm

Yep the first thing I do with sambos if I want to take them home for a feed is bleed them :)
Taste much better that way.

fishnut
Rank: Flathead
Rank: Flathead
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:42 pm

Re: Quick WP report

Postby fishnut » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:37 pm

To add to snapper i always bleed as it hits the floor especially fish over 2kg they seem to hold a bit of blood
Then fillet and skin but never wash in fresh water
Taste is totally different treated this way and freezes much better

Redhunter
Rank: Bream
Rank: Bream
Posts: 1004
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:19 am

Re: Quick WP report

Postby Redhunter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Redhunter wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
Redhunter wrote:Was a great w/e to be out on the water. Although not huge, you got a number on the board and come home with a nice feed and some good baits for the next sesh. Gotta call that a success I reckon mate!

Definitely a fun day on the water! A few fish for the table is just a bonus.

What's the best way to cook salmon guys?


The only salmon I'll eat are those that are prepped correctly. Firstly they need to be bled upon capture. Then filleted and skinned. Remove the rib bones and any excess bloodlines. Then lathered in flour and cooked in a pan or on the bbq with plenty of oil. Much of the crappy taste with salmon comes from the blood and skin, similar with snapper. Give it a try one day and you may be surprised.


Do you bleed your snapper?


Yes mate, snapper I do. It certainly helps, along with skinning the fillets. Try it one day and see for yourself mate as a comparison. It really does make a big difference I believe. I've never turned back since prepping nearly all fish in this way, freshwater or saltwater fish ;)

Redhunter
Rank: Bream
Rank: Bream
Posts: 1004
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:19 am

Re: Quick WP report

Postby Redhunter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:33 pm

fishnut wrote:To add to snapper i always bleed as it hits the floor especially fish over 2kg they seem to hold a bit of blood
Then fillet and skin but never wash in fresh water
Taste is totally different treated this way and freezes much better


Yes! Very very important....Saltwater fish should NEVER be washed in freshwater, unless you want a tasteless mushy mess. It's an unwritten law I reckon!

For those who enjoy a feed, you are doing yourself an evil injustice by not prepping your seafood platter in the best way possible. A little effort goes a long way.



Remove these ads.

User avatar
Kimtown
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Re: Quick WP report

Postby Kimtown » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:11 pm

Redhunter wrote:
fishnut wrote:To add to snapper i always bleed as it hits the floor especially fish over 2kg they seem to hold a bit of blood
Then fillet and skin but never wash in fresh water
Taste is totally different treated this way and freezes much better


Yes! Very very important....Saltwater fish should NEVER be washed in freshwater, unless you want a tasteless mushy mess. It's an unwritten law I reckon!

For those who enjoy a feed, you are doing yourself an evil injustice by not prepping your seafood platter in the best way possible. A little effort goes a long way.

I had the Salmon and it was actually really nice.. I was surprised. Better than snapper. I rinsed both under the tap too (fresh water)

I think you guys buy into old wives tails a little too much tbh

Edit: tales* ...tails lol

Pistol
Rank: Baitfish
Rank: Baitfish
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:10 pm

Re: Quick WP report

Postby Pistol » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Life's too short to eat salmon. Or tailor!

User avatar
hornet
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 2597
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Quick WP report

Postby hornet » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:36 pm

I Gotta say I'm not a fan of snapper salmon mullet bream or tailor... Now gummy whiting flounder squid that's another story !
Last edited by hornet on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rb85
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1948
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: Quick WP report

Postby rb85 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:27 am

Kimtown I think your targeting the wrong areas at that stage of the season mate. If your looking for big red that is. Stay woke and best of luck to all our fishing today.



Remove these ads.


Return to “Warneet To San Remo”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests