Corinella 5/10

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
Shacor

Corinella 5/10

Post by Shacor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:27 pm

Hey all, here's my report for Westernport, Corinella this morning.
Finally got the red machine into the water this morning, being my maiden trip in the boat, I didn't stray far, ended up about 400m from the small island just south of the boat ramp. My Garmin Striker kept reverting to demo mode for some reason, I believe it was 7m depth. Put 2 rods in, both with running sinkers, one with bait shop squid, the other with Pilchards. The squid was ignored, after approx 20 minutes I had my first decent bite on the pilchard. I was expecting a stingray, but no, Lucky me hooked onto a Gummy!! :banana: Got it into the boat, bent my cheapassed net, checked the length from the rear gill to the bottom of the tail 58cms! I was unbelievably stoked!! Half an hour later, hooked onto a smallish toothy, wouldn't have a clue what it was Almost like a barracuda. Had 2 nasty looking fangs up top of its gob, about 50cms long. I despatched it quickly, and cut him up for fresh bait. Got a massive strike on that rod 15 minutes afterwards, whatever it was took line like nothing I've ever experienced. Ended up snapping off clean. That was it. Moved a couple of times, ended up catching more weed on the runout tide, so called it a day. Can't wait to get out there again, I'm gunna need to learn how to fish for squid, cos I've got no idea.
Cheers, Scotty
43262237_309000966568435_7382183676626337792_n (2).jpg
Adventure is out there- Charles Muntz

Shacor

Re: Corinella 5/10

Post by Shacor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:55 pm

Just off the east side of Pelican Island, looking at google satellite images, actually west of Corinella boat ramp

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:05 pm

Nice report and pic!
Enjoy the fresh flake :thumbsup:

Shacor

Post by Shacor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Lightningx wrote:Nice report and pic!
Thanks mate. I tried to put the poor bugger out of his misery quickly, looks like I butchered the job.
The elderly couple next door have a nice feed of flake for dinner tonight too!
Bring on the next trip!

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:32 pm

Shacor wrote:
Thanks mate. I tried to put the poor bugger out of his misery quickly, looks like I butchered the job.
Bring on the next trip!
nice report mate! to bleed a gummy generally just cut through the back of the neck, roughly above the first gill, until you hit what i believe is the main artery which kind of looks like a spinal cord type thing lol. you will know, blood will go everywhere. pretty necessary since the ammonia in the blood will ruin the flesh.

Shacor

Post by Shacor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:44 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Shacor wrote:
Bring on the next trip!
nice report mate! to bleed a gummy generally just cut through the back of the neck, roughly above the first gill, until you hit what i believe is the main artery which kind of looks like a spinal cord type thing lol. you will know, blood will go everywhere. pretty necessary since the ammonia in the blood will ruin the flesh.
Thanks mate, I cut about 2 inches back from the spot I tried to spike him, and cut the upper back between his tail, and fin. bled it pretty well if the colour of the ice slurry in the esky was any indication.
Gotta say, I'm chuffed! I have been wanting to get out after gummies for a few years, and to catch one when I thought id have no chance makes it even sweeter! now to try and find a nice Snapper and learn how to flick for squid without looking like an idiot with no idea! :thumbsup:

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Nice report mate and well done on the Gummy :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:58 pm

:a_goodjob: We were all idiots once
Trial and error and ask questions im sure u will get a lot of help on this forum
Good luck

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Good report
Nice little fella

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:24 pm

Nice first report one of my favourite spots corinella. The other side of pelican island is some good fishing opposite Elizabeth island , I have never been one for going between pelican island and snapper rocks I had a bad experience there one day so I always go around snapper rocks to access that side. Nice gummy too

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”