Corinella 5/10

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
Queasy

Re: Corinella 5/10

Post by Queasy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Nude up wrote:I have never been one for going between pelican island and snapper rocks I had a bad experience there one day so I always go around snapper rocks to access that side.
What kind of bad experience?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:21 pm

Queasy wrote:
Nude up wrote:I have never been one for going between pelican island and snapper rocks I had a bad experience there one day so I always go around snapper rocks to access that side.
About 30 years ago I had a 4.8 mt half cab with a 60 hp mariner my 1st boat we loved westernport drove from the western suburbs fish 12 hrs then drive home crazy days I can’t do it now.
Anyway we were very inexperienced and had seen boats going between snapper rocks and pelican island so we thought it would be ok, we didn’t realise that it’s about 20 odd mt one side and around 7 mt on the other which creates pressure waves at certain times of the tide, we were coming back to corinella from around cowes late one day and decided to give it a go. We did notice the rough water but it didn’t look that bad as we got between the islands the pressure waves really started to stand up the 60 hp mariner lacked a surge of power modern engines have next thing the boat is going backwards down a wave the next wave lifted the back of the boat and planted the bow of the boat under water luckily for us the boat kept straight we took on a bit of water but got through into calm water.

This started nude ups golden rules of boating never pass between snapper rocks and pelican island. I know this only happens there at certain times of the tide but in my books better safe than sorry. Even now I have a 6.5 mt boat I still go round snapper rocks.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Queasy wrote:
Interested to hear I go between there

rb85

Post by rb85 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Shacor wrote:Hey all, here's my report for Westernport, Corinella this morning.
Finally got the red machine into the water this morning, being my maiden trip in the boat, I didn't stray far, ended up about 400m from the small island just south of the boat ramp. My Garmin Striker kept reverting to demo mode for some reason, I believe it was 7m depth. Put 2 rods in, both with running sinkers, one with bait shop squid, the other with Pilchards. The squid was ignored, after approx 20 minutes I had my first decent bite on the pilchard. I was expecting a stingray, but no, Lucky me hooked onto a Gummy!! :banana: Got it into the boat, bent my cheapassed net, checked the length from the rear gill to the bottom of the tail 58cms! I was unbelievably stoked!! Half an hour later, hooked onto a smallish toothy, wouldn't have a clue what it was Almost like a barracuda. Had 2 nasty looking fangs up top of its gob, about 50cms long. I despatched it quickly, and cut him up for fresh bait. Got a massive strike on that rod 15 minutes afterwards, whatever it was took line like nothing I've ever experienced. Ended up snapping off clean. That was it. Moved a couple of times, ended up catching more weed on the runout tide, so called it a day. Can't wait to get out there again, I'm gunna need to learn how to fish for squid, cos I've got no idea.
Cheers, Scotty
43262237_309000966568435_7382183676626337792_n (2).jpg

Sounds like a great day out good stuff mate.

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:02 pm

Nude up wrote:
Queasy wrote:
About 30 years ago I had a 4.8 mt half cab with a 60 hp mariner my 1st boat we loved westernport drove from the western suburbs fish 12 hrs then drive home crazy days I can’t do it now.
Anyway we were very inexperienced and had seen boats going between snapper rocks and pelican island so we thought it would be ok, we didn’t realise that it’s about 20 odd mt one side and around 7 mt on the other which creates pressure waves at certain times of the tide, we were coming back to corinella from around cowes late one day and decided to give it a go. We did notice the rough water but it didn’t look that bad as we got between the islands the pressure waves really started to stand up the 60 hp mariner lacked a surge of power modern engines have next thing the boat is going backwards down a wave the next wave lifted the back of the boat and planted the bow of the boat under water luckily for us the boat kept straight we took on a bit of water but got through into calm water.

This started nude ups golden rules of boating never pass between snapper rocks and pelican island. I know this only happens there at certain times of the tide but in my books better safe than sorry. Even now I have a 6.5 mt boat I still go round snapper rocks.
OK, sounds very similar to an experience I had on the east side of Pelican Island. Was fishing in snapper hole, on a good bite when the wind picked up. The 20 odd other boats there all upped anchor and headed off. I figured as the wind was forecast to die off later I'd just sit it out. Bad idea. When waves started crashing over the back of my boat I changed my mind. But in motoring north I got caught by a pressure wave, surfed down the front, all I could see out of the windscreen was dark water. Made it through ok but swore I'd never go through there ever again! Short memory I guess because after the wind died down later that afternoon I was back there. Right across there from Corinella to French Island they call the washing machine I believe.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Queasy wrote:
Nude up wrote:
Queasy wrote:

OK, sounds very similar to an experience I had on the east side of Pelican Island. Was fishing in snapper hole, on a good bite when the wind picked up. The 20 odd other boats there all upped anchor and headed off. I figured as the wind was forecast to die off later I'd just sit it out. Bad idea. When waves started crashing over the back of my boat I changed my mind. But in motoring north I got caught by a pressure wave, surfed down the front, all I could see out of the windscreen was dark water. Made it through ok but swore I'd never go through there ever again! Short memory I guess because after the wind died down later that afternoon I was back there. Right across there from Corinella to French Island they call the washing machine I believe.
Yep that whole area from the barge hole right across. Gets bloody atrocious mid ebb with a decent seabreeze. There, Mchaffies and the shallow area off Stony Point are the 3 worst areas of Westernport when conditions make them so.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:45 am

Nude up wrote:
Queasy wrote:

It can be quite dangerous at times.

The first time I ever went night fishing in a boat in WP was in my cousins boat, a 5.6m yeltacraft, quite a capable boat, well it was a calm night, slight breeze but no chop at all, well we crossed through it and the wind against tide pressure waves had 1.5m rollers and breakers coming at us. We got about half way through and thought it's getting way too rough so had to try and make a turn in there... not a fun thing to do. Anyway it turned out alright but it wasnt a fun experience.

Same thing has happened to me heading out past the last buoy in the eastern entrance. Quite a narrow stretch with a lot of water passing through too.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:53 am

The same thing occurs as u come out if the corrinella channel and turn left aat mid run out and even a light southerly

Shacor

Post by Shacor » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:34 am

Handy to know some of this. Being a total newb to boating, it's good information. Hopefully it won't take me long to learn where all these spots are in Westernport.
Adventure is out there- Charles Muntz

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Funny thing is I have traveled through this area a lot in some pretty rough conditions usually I go through along the edge of French island into the mosquito channel do have probably dodged that situation.

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”