Best landbased burley

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Best landbased burley

Post by crumpet_avenger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:10 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:Seen that you can catch them on pillies, but seems like they only go for the tail only.
Tail only? How do you come to that conclusion?
Ive caught them on full pilchard. Pilchard fillet. Pillie tail and pillie head.
You sure you have fished for gummies for as long as you say you have?
Surely in that time you have used more than 1 kind and style of bait?
Whole, chunks, steaks, fillets, heads, tails, cocktails
I always hear about good fish caught on pillies in the port but I never manage anything bragable on them.. only pinkies
Maybe I just don’t use them enough..
You use 1 hook rigs. That makes it simple. A tail is my favourite bait for flatty, pinkies and gummies.
A head is my favourite for pike, couta and snapper
A fillet is my favourite for big whiting, timid pinkies and trevally.
I never go fishing without a block of pillies. If no fish its a great berley
I don’t always use one hook, depends on the target species and bait. Snapper I like to use snelled suicides with a calamari ring, anything else is a single circle. I always have them on board for berley, never end up using them because I catch squid and so on as bait instead, only use them if I have to
I like to have 1 rod of each out. When fishing for shark at night big teethies are out and about which is why the snelled rig works better for me.
The amount of times the bottom hook has been severed and in the sharks mouth only to be hooked on the top hook is unreal.
Wlways like a small bait and a big bait. Small bait on the single hook and a big bait on the 2 hook rig.

Each to their own i guess

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:20 pm

A-a-ron wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:Seen that you can catch them on pillies, but seems like they only go for the tail only.
Tail only? How do you come to that conclusion?
Ive caught them on full pilchard. Pilchard fillet. Pillie tail and pillie head.
You sure you have fished for gummies for as long as you say you have?
Surely in that time you have used more than 1 kind and style of bait?
Whole, chunks, steaks, fillets, heads, tails, cocktails
Seems like you’ve got some sort of issue with me? I’ve read that a few people have only caught them with the heads chopped off and when they’ve used the heads they’ve got nothing. Each to they’re own. First it was I should have a boat due to taking up golf recently now it’s I haven’t been fishing that long... or do you just like to make assumptions? I’ve used squid, salmon, yakkas, trevally. Chunks, while squid, legs, hoods, calamari style, fillets, heads, tails...

I just had a big bite before but it was over in seconds before I could even react and the squid had been ripped off... the other hook had bites taken out of it... tried salmon chunks and fillets to no bites and 10mins after the squid hits the water that happened, am’i just the most unlucky bloke when it comes to this fish?! Seem to get bites but not the hook up... where I have read people can leave the rod and they’ll hook themselves up! :oops:
Not at all. But on another topic you said you have fished for 15 years for gummies for no joy. I can tell your not new to fishing after 15 years.
Maybe try learn from experience. Thats how the rest of us have done it.
Maybe try post some reports instead of picking brains as well. Might give you a bit more credibility

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:44 pm

Yea I’ve tried for gummies at least 30hrs a year for the last 15yrs. Footy season isn’t a time when I have heaps of time so I can’t exactly get out and spend nights fishing for them, so I try as much as I can at the start and end of the years. I don’t want to give any reports as I’ve never caught anything and last week for the first time this year I copped an absolute night to forget, I’m one of those blokes who couldn’t catch one in a barrel and I have no luck in life. I’ve caught heaps of other fish... 64cm snapper, 36cm rainbow trout, 52cm salmon, numourous bream, mullet, whiting, barracuda, eels, big bass, cat fish, squid, and ect... but never a shark... I can goto a river and land 15 bream in 10mins but fished for years on the beach, rocks and couple charters with know spots for these ellucive beast and haven’t even gotten close beside a half decent bite that was all over in a blink of the eye, every time it happens. It’s almost getting to the point where it’s a life long dream that’ll never happen. I’ve learnt everything I know myself. It’s almost to the point every time I donut I just want to roll up in a ball and cry! I sit here praying to god, please just let me catch one... even if it’s a catch and release... I’ve never had someone I could ask for guidence, so I’ve been teaching myself, and maybe I’m not the best at this style. Obviously I’d been reading the tides wrong, which is my first stuff up. I’ve tried the bait shop near me for guidance, and because they’re a charter boat who has “gummy hunting” nights, they won’t give me any details or help at all. It’s getting to the point, I’m just gonna quit trying for them and focus on river fishing... seem to be alright at that.

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:11 pm

A-a-ron wrote:Yea I’ve tried for gummies at least 30hrs a year for the last 15yrs. Footy season isn’t a time when I have heaps of time so I can’t exactly get out and spend nights fishing for them, so I try as much as I can at the start and end of the years. I don’t want to give any reports as I’ve never caught anything and last week for the first time this year I copped an absolute night to forget, I’m one of those blokes who couldn’t catch one in a barrel and I have no luck in life. I’ve caught heaps of other fish... 64cm snapper, 36cm rainbow trout, 52cm salmon, numourous bream, mullet, whiting, barracuda, eels, big bass, cat fish, squid, and ect... but never a shark... I can goto a river and land 15 bream in 10mins but fished for years on the beach, rocks and couple charters with know spots for these ellucive beast and haven’t even gotten close beside a half decent bite that was all over in a blink of the eye, every time it happens. It’s almost getting to the point where it’s a life long dream that’ll never happen. I’ve learnt everything I know myself. It’s almost to the point every time I donut I just want to roll up in a ball and cry! I sit here praying to god, please just let me catch one... even if it’s a catch and release... I’ve never had someone I could ask for guidence, so I’ve been teaching myself, and maybe I’m not the best at this style. Obviously I’d been reading the tides wrong, which is my first stuff up. I’ve tried the bait shop near me for guidance, and because they’re a charter boat who has “gummy hunting” nights, they won’t give me any details or help at all. It’s getting to the point, I’m just gonna quit trying for them and focus on river fishing... seem to be alright at that.
No need to get dramatic. Plenty of us have wives for that stuff.
You seem to have success in your fishing. So post some reports before asking for help. Its the best way to get assitance.

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:42 am

Telling it how it is, isn’t dramatic. Yea I’ve had a bit of success there but it was awhile ago, because I’ve been focusing on gummies and I’m not too familiar with WPB/PPB area so anything I post would be a rookie post with probably no info, wrong info or no help to whoever is needing it. I’m pretty new to this forum and honestly didn’t even know it existed until a week or two ago... I’ve only just realised how to post my own things...

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:44 am

For everyone wanting to know how I went - donut, with a big hit that ripped the bait off. The squid seemed to be bitten into, by what... I’m not sure.... but the big hit musta been a gummy or something, because the rod bent and snapped back, the line went loose after that, and I thought damn...lines broken. But it was just missing the bottom bait.

bilby

Post by bilby » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:12 am

My only advice in tricky matters like this is don't go where people say they have recently been catching gummy sharks. Learn about a range of possible landbased locations where they turn up - then go to the one where there are no recent reports. That's how I catch most of my bigger fish species - if someone says a mulloway was caught at spot x, I'll head to spot y and give it a go there. Following on the heels of other anglers has always just led to disappointment and frustration for me, whereas if you try at your own selected spot, at least if you don't get one, you can't really blame yourself. It also means that sometimes your experiment pays off in ways you couldn't have imagined.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:28 am

A-a-ron wrote:
Hosery wrote:Personally I don’t often burleyfor gummys. Quite often as others have said it brings in the rubbish fish. Some times at least they fill in a night between gummys. If burley is done right it works well. If it’s used wrong it can make fishing worse by taking the fish away from you.

Don’t read to much into the bait for gummys. They are scavengers and will eat just about anything. Yes they bite better on fresh baits but I’d still go if you havnt got anything fresh. Definitely don’t discount pillies and squid. I’d say more gummies over the years have been taken by these baits than everything else put together. I also love using eel. Gummies love it and holds on the hook well especially when crabs are about.
Tried some cured eel last week but due to seal lice absolutely loving it, I had big holes chewed out within half an hour of it being out in the water at balnarring.
Na give the cured eel the flick. Always done better with it not cured. And the beauty of eel is that it will freeze fine. I generally during spring catch a few eels and they see me through the summer. It’s not a bait I always use but it seems when ever I put it on catch a gummy with it.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:44 am

A-a-ron wrote:For everyone wanting to know how I went - donut, with a big hit that ripped the bait off. The squid seemed to be bitten into, by what... I’m not sure.... but the big hit musta been a gummy or something, because the rod bent and snapped back, the line went loose after that, and I thought damn...lines broken. But it was just missing the bottom bait.
Bad luck mate
Keep trying and you will get one
I dont think gummys can bite threw leaders that fast

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:53 am

bilby wrote:My only advice in tricky matters like this is don't go where people say they have recently been catching gummy sharks. Learn about a range of possible landbased locations where they turn up - then go to the one where there are no recent reports. That's how I catch most of my bigger fish species - if someone says a mulloway was caught at spot x, I'll head to spot y and give it a go there. Following on the heels of other anglers has always just led to disappointment and frustration for me, whereas if you try at your own selected spot, at least if you don't get one, you can't really blame yourself. It also means that sometimes your experiment pays off in ways you couldn't have imagined.
Yea it’s hard being land based, I’ll be sussing out google earth and see if I can find a spot away from the usual spots, cheers for the tip.

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”