Best landbased burley

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Best landbased burley

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:36 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:Seen that you can catch them on pillies, but seems like they only go for the tail only.
Tail only? How do you come to that conclusion?
Ive caught them on full pilchard. Pilchard fillet. Pillie tail and pillie head.
You sure you have fished for gummies for as long as you say you have?
Surely in that time you have used more than 1 kind and style of bait?
Whole, chunks, steaks, fillets, heads, tails, cocktails
I always hear about good fish caught on pillies in the port but I never manage anything bragable on them.. only pinkies
Maybe I just don’t use them enough..

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:38 pm

A-a-ron wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:Sorry forgot to add I’ll be running a running sinker rig with about a 5oz bomb/rocket sinker on 40cm leader and 60lb leader about 45-60cm long with twin 6/0 or 8/0 hooks. Yea tru, thanks for the tip , would stockyard point be ok at night? I’ve got a mate who’s not really a fisherman coming with me so I’ll have some company in case something goes wrong down there and I’ve got a light so I’ll be watching the ground constantly if I go that way. Saw that YouTube video with the 3 blokes taking the short cut, brilliant! :rofl:

Try extend your main leader to 1m long and i suggest using a single circle hook for baiting up the fresh salmon you've caught. here is a video demonstration winga did awhile ago on how to bait flesh baits with a single circle, watch from 7mins onwards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf2SDtdPQZM
Thats how i've caught them. If using fillet baits or the squid you bought, best to use your snelled two hook rig.

Go and find out, the tides are very late tonight tho... last two hours being from 11:30pm - 1:40am and first two hours from 1:30am - 3:30am at jam jerrup/stockyard pt... if you are up for that then just be wary of the tides down there, the water floods in very quick and you need to be able to make it back to the carpark without walking through water :rofl:
Not really sure of any other land based locations where gummies are caught on the outgoing tide regularly tho, i've always heard and caught them on incoming. Could try balnarring beach think i've seen a few reports of gummies on start of outgoing tides but could have just been luck, go wherever you thinks best mate :thumbsup:
I’ll be down there from about 7pm before dark and suss it out and see what the tides is like an hour before it’s going up to high, got the circle hooks set up. I’ll be down there awhile tonight, so you think the 1:30-3:30am would be the prime time? But I’ll be watching the tides like a hawk being out at stockyard.. Tried balnarring and the weeds were crazy and had a night to forget, not sure I’d want a repeat of that. Must have been some good luck on they’re part.

Balnarring probably wasn’t any good for you because it was a north wind, if it was weedy then that’s why. You also need to fish a spot time and time again for success and to learn the do’s and donts of that specific area. Some stonker gummies get caught between Somers and Balnarring every full moon.. I see the pics hahaha

Good luck tonight, I reckon you should pick a day closer to the end of next week down Somers way and give it a go then personally

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:26 pm

Personally I don’t often burleyfor gummys. Quite often as others have said it brings in the rubbish fish. Some times at least they fill in a night between gummys. If burley is done right it works well. If it’s used wrong it can make fishing worse by taking the fish away from you.

Don’t read to much into the bait for gummys. They are scavengers and will eat just about anything. Yes they bite better on fresh baits but I’d still go if you havnt got anything fresh. Definitely don’t discount pillies and squid. I’d say more gummies over the years have been taken by these baits than everything else put together. I also love using eel. Gummies love it and holds on the hook well especially when crabs are about.

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:51 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:Seen that you can catch them on pillies, but seems like they only go for the tail only.
I always hear about good fish caught on pillies in the port but I never manage anything bragable on them.. only pinkies
You use 1 hook rigs. That makes it simple. A tail is my favourite bait for flatty, pinkies and gummies.
A head is my favourite for pike, couta and snapper
A fillet is my favourite for big whiting, timid pinkies and trevally.
I never go fishing without a block of pillies. If no fish its a great berley

adamk

Post by adamk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:17 pm

cut carp into slabs onto a tray with tuna oil let soak an dry in the sun cut into cubes o_0

one thing i had been told about was pomfret since its stinks but im sure you cant use it as its not a native to anywhere in austrialia but is caught as bi catch in northern half of aus

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:46 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
Seems like you’ve got some sort of issue with me? I’ve read that a few people have only caught them with the heads chopped off and when they’ve used the heads they’ve got nothing. Each to they’re own. First it was I should have a boat due to taking up golf recently now it’s I haven’t been fishing that long... or do you just like to make assumptions? I’ve used squid, salmon, yakkas, trevally. Chunks, while squid, legs, hoods, calamari style, fillets, heads, tails...

I just had a big bite before but it was over in seconds before I could even react and the squid had been ripped off... the other hook had bites taken out of it... tried salmon chunks and fillets to no bites and 10mins after the squid hits the water that happened, am’i just the most unlucky bloke when it comes to this fish?! Seem to get bites but not the hook up... where I have read people can leave the rod and they’ll hook themselves up! :oops:

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
You can catch them on a lot of baits whether fresh or frozen, but it’s about putting the odds in your favour, and fresh baits certainly do just that
Seems the frozen squid is going better then the fresh salmon at this point.

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:56 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:Sorry forgot to add I’ll be running a running sinker rig with about a 5oz bomb/rocket sinker on 40cm leader and 60lb leader about 45-60cm long with twin 6/0 or 8/0 hooks. Yea tru, thanks for the tip , would stockyard point be ok at night? I’ve got a mate who’s not really a fisherman coming with me so I’ll have some company in case something goes wrong down there and I’ve got a light so I’ll be watching the ground constantly if I go that way. Saw that YouTube video with the 3 blokes taking the short cut, brilliant! :rofl:

Try extend your main leader to 1m long and i suggest using a single circle hook for baiting up the fresh salmon you've caught. here is a video demonstration winga did awhile ago on how to bait flesh baits with a single circle, watch from 7mins onwards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf2SDtdPQZM
Thats how i've caught them. If using fillet baits or the squid you bought, best to use your snelled two hook rig.

Go and find out, the tides are very late tonight tho... last two hours being from 11:30pm - 1:40am and first two hours from 1:30am - 3:30am at jam jerrup/stockyard pt... if you are up for that then just be wary of the tides down there, the water floods in very quick and you need to be able to make it back to the carpark without walking through water :rofl:
Not really sure of any other land based locations where gummies are caught on the outgoing tide regularly tho, i've always heard and caught them on incoming. Could try balnarring beach think i've seen a few reports of gummies on start of outgoing tides but could have just been luck, go wherever you thinks best mate :thumbsup:
I’ll be down there from about 7pm before dark and suss it out and see what the tides is like an hour before it’s going up to high, got the circle hooks set up. I’ll be down there awhile tonight, so you think the 1:30-3:30am would be the prime time? But I’ll be watching the tides like a hawk being out at stockyard.. Tried balnarring and the weeds were crazy and had a night to forget, not sure I’d want a repeat of that. Must have been some good luck on they’re part.

Balnarring probably wasn’t any good for you because it was a north wind, if it was weedy then that’s why. You also need to fish a spot time and time again for success and to learn the do’s and donts of that specific area. Some stonker gummies get caught between Somers and Balnarring every full moon.. I see the pics hahaha

Good luck tonight, I reckon you should pick a day closer to the end of next week down Somers way and give it a go then personally
Cheers mate, appreciate the help. Might be something to look into for next weekend. See if the missus will let us out 3 weekends in a row before lake entrance the weekend after.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:58 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:
You use 1 hook rigs. That makes it simple. A tail is my favourite bait for flatty, pinkies and gummies.
A head is my favourite for pike, couta and snapper
A fillet is my favourite for big whiting, timid pinkies and trevally.
I never go fishing without a block of pillies. If no fish its a great berley
I don’t always use one hook, depends on the target species and bait. Snapper I like to use snelled suicides with a calamari ring, anything else Pinkies, gummies, Whiting.. is a single circle. I always have them on board for berley, never end up using them because I catch squid and so on as bait instead, only use them if I have to
Last edited by STriplett1997 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:01 pm

Hosery wrote:Personally I don’t often burleyfor gummys. Quite often as others have said it brings in the rubbish fish. Some times at least they fill in a night between gummys. If burley is done right it works well. If it’s used wrong it can make fishing worse by taking the fish away from you.

Don’t read to much into the bait for gummys. They are scavengers and will eat just about anything. Yes they bite better on fresh baits but I’d still go if you havnt got anything fresh. Definitely don’t discount pillies and squid. I’d say more gummies over the years have been taken by these baits than everything else put together. I also love using eel. Gummies love it and holds on the hook well especially when crabs are about.
Tried some cured eel last week but due to seal lice absolutely loving it, I had big holes chewed out within half an hour of it being out in the water at balnarring.

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”