Challenging Few weeks on the water.

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Challenging Few weeks on the water.

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:21 am

Hi all,

Went for a fish yesterday morning. Was planning to just have a bit of fun and get onto the Pinkies and then later the Whiting. As normal from the last few trips, my plan didn’t work out. Not sure what’s been happening my last few. Everything seems to have disappeared. Start of run in at Joes Island for 0. Pulled up anchor and planned to stop at BP Jetty and try again for Yakkas. In the end I didn’t have to, as I left Joes a massive school of Salmon were busting with a wide stretch of approx 300m, was huge. Birds diving everywhere as usual. Quickly put on a Metal and drifted into them. Picked up 6 little Salmon quite quickly and I thought it was a calling for a Gummy Shark or two. Speaking to the local in the Hastings store this morning, he gave me some direction as usual with it being a small tide. I motored off to Buoy 16 -14 and sat on the edge for the last 90 minutes of the run in. Unfortauntely the swell was huge but there was almost 0 run in the tide which confused me. No luck there, but I will be giving that stretch a really good go the next however many trips until I land one. I moved to Buoy 17 next to Tortoise head for the end of the tide and managed a big Port Jackson and an absolutely Massive Eagle Ray, took a whopping amount of line and fair to say my arms were busted. After moving spots in fear of wind against tide (which didn’t end up happening until 6:30. Cheers fishranger.) I went back to Joes to try the outgoing tide for 0.. again. I thought screw this and went and tried the Spit for Whiting, for 0. So confused... but after many many moves and driving more than fishing lol, I found some fish back at Joes island and then very close to it on the bank. Hopefully it’s still not just me finding it hard going recently.
Cheers, Sam
9EC56251-A99E-4CFE-A7E6-C7A11F484B82.jpeg

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Challenging Few weeks on the water.

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Struth. You put the kms in thats for sure. Your getting down around my end of the bay mate. You stay up the top end so theres a few fish left for me down south.

Im going out tomorrow night with the plan on sitting at mchaffies for the night. Gunna be a bit bumpy but its going to be a cracker on satdy mornen. Hopefully get a few whiting and pinkies

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Holy crap.you covered some ground.
Glad you got some fish in the end after a.hard days work lol

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:19 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:Struth. You put the kms in thats for sure. Your getting down around my end of the bay mate. You stay up the top end so theres a few fish left for me down south.

Im going out tomorrow night with the plan on sitting at mchaffies for the night. Gunna be a bit bumpy but its going to be a cracker on satdy mornen. Hopefully get a few whiting and pinkies
Absolutely buggered today that’s for sure. Good luck with it mate. Saturday is looking good, hopefully stays that way as I’ll be heading out then too.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:20 pm

smile0784 wrote:Holy crap.you covered some ground.
Glad you got some fish in the end after a.hard days work lol
Was most frustrating day right until the end, but even then I wasn’t really wanting to catch Whiting.. can’t complain I guess. Striving for a decent sized gummy. Hopefully my persistence pays off soon, Cheers

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:22 pm

the pics are saying a different story hahahaha..
ive also found that recently ive marked fish on the sounder in PPB but absolutely not even a bite, im not sure whats happening either. bait and lures never got touched.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:27 pm

You’re doing really well with the Whiting’s mate!
That’s another awesome bag!
Well done :thumbsup:

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:38 pm

purple5ive wrote:the pics are saying a different story hahahaha..
ive also found that recently ive marked fish on the sounder in PPB but absolutely not even a bite, im not sure whats happening either. bait and lures never got touched.

Hey they can be deceptive! The photo makes it look easy, the story behind it was a f**kn nightmare haha.

Heard it’s going quite slow from a few others.

That sounds interesting and unusual. I’ve got a new sounding unit being installed next week, will be the first time I can sound up snapper properly, interested to play around with it.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:39 pm

Lightningx wrote:You’re doing really well with the Whiting’s mate!
That’s another awesome bag!
Well done :thumbsup:

The only species keeping me afloat rn... thanks mate, they are good fun and best eating imo.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:08 pm

The better ground is closer to Mchaffies down that way. Only downside is due to the better ground, the swell does increase in that area often dramatically depending on tides.

But you bailed way to early. Key to consistency with Gummies (the bigger ones away from the shallow mud of Lang Lang area)is time and effort in one spot based on where you believe they'll swim through. Pick the spot and don't leave it until you're going home or for other species. The slow tides allowed atleast 2 hours either side of slack water in the western entrance. Slow tides could also see their movements slow down so not as many fish will pass through any given area so catch 22. Atleast some Whiting played ball in the end though

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”