Gummies up top end

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Gummies up top end

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:51 pm

rb85 wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:Worth grabbing some fresh banana prawns from the supermarket too mate. Dont be afraid to throw on a dirty frozen servo pilchard either, a hungry gummy will happily take it.
I always have pillies on board incase, that stuff doesn’t compare to fresh Trevally salmon yakkas squid, I don’t fish for bigger species without the fresh stuff haha
100% agree with the big girls, but getting a feed of 3.5-4ft flake I have most luck with IQF's I feel. Looking at your WPB posts though I'm sure you will find the fish!
Fair enough mate. Each to their own, whenever I use
Pillies I come up with bobcus. Yet as soon as fresh squid or trevally/salmon go on the hook I come up trumps. All based on experience I suppose
Agree throw yakka, slimies even whiting heads into the mix.
I got my first Gummy In WP on a yakka head :thumbsup: . I’ve tried Whiting heads but the bloody rays seem to love em too..

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Scraglor wrote:Good luck mate, I will be launching at Yaringa tomorrow morning too, but will be having a look around for the whiting. I am planning to spend a bit of time nutting out the Gummies myself over the next few weeks.
What time you heading out from the harbour tomorrow? I must’ve bumped into you at some point mate. I might catch a few ting and hopefully some trevally the last 2hrs of the outgoing, might try using the Whiting as bait providing they aren’t big, those r for dinner :cheers: .

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:05 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
rb85 wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
I always have pillies on board incase, that stuff doesn’t compare to fresh Trevally salmon yakkas squid, I don’t fish for bigger species without the fresh stuff haha
100% agree with the big girls, but getting a feed of 3.5-4ft flake I have most luck with IQF's I feel. Looking at your WPB posts though I'm sure you will find the fish!
Fair enough mate. Each to their own, whenever I use
Pillies I come up with bobcus. Yet as soon as fresh squid or trevally/salmon go on the hook I come up trumps. All based on experience I suppose
Agree throw yakka, slimies even whiting heads into the mix.
I got my first Gummy In WP on a yakka head :thumbsup: . I’ve tried Whiting heads but the bloody rays seem to love em too..
Yeah the old Yakka is great I have caught them on whiting when I've struggled for bait. Might do a gummy bash myself after the weekend.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:52 pm

I got all my gummys on squid heads

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Kimtown wrote:Worth grabbing some fresh banana prawns from the supermarket too mate. Dont be afraid to throw on a dirty frozen servo pilchard either, a hungry gummy will happily take it.
just wondering how many are still using food grade prawn atm with fisheries asking people not to
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:59 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
Scraglor wrote:Good luck mate, I will be launching at Yaringa tomorrow morning too, but will be having a look around for the whiting. I am planning to spend a bit of time nutting out the Gummies myself over the next few weeks.
What time you heading out from the harbour tomorrow? I must’ve bumped into you at some point mate. I might catch a few ting and hopefully some trevally the last 2hrs of the outgoing, might try using the Whiting as bait providing they aren’t big, those r for dinner :cheers: .
Normally launch about 4:30 but taking the better half tomorrow so have a sleep in and launching approx 7:30-8am. Have a spot that fishes well the hour or two before low tide so that should work OK anyhow.

Plenty of big ones about hey! been funny this year tho with a lot of smaller ones mixed in, gives you a surprise when you get the 47/48cm ones on a 2500 reel though.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:26 pm

Scraglor wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
Normally launch about 4:30 but taking the better half tomorrow so have a sleep in and launching approx 7:30-8am. Have a spot that fishes well the hour or two before low tide so that should work OK anyhow.

Plenty of big ones about hey! been funny this year tho with a lot of smaller ones mixed in, gives you a surprise when you get the 47/48cm ones on a 2500 reel though.
The ones at that size are awesome fun. Fight great and plug away under the boat. I think the Whiting will
Continue to get better

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:48 pm

smile0784 wrote:I got all my gummys on squid heads
Mate of mine swears by squid heads for them, but so far I haven’t caught one on fresh squid, so I have a bit more confidence in fresh flesh baits despite the by catch sometimes. Fresh squid has done wonders on the snapper for me tho. I’ll put out some squid too

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:13 am

Good thread - I am yet to actively target gummies out of WP but it's on my list to do.

Are you running your standard circle hook, leader, swivel, Ezi rig with dropper loop/sinker on the mainline rigs? I've put this out a few times without much luck (everything but gummies on it).

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:53 pm

How did you go mate? We had a slow day, really have to grind out a catch, only ended with 7 whiting so my worst trip in quite a while :(

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”