The Switch - Fishing report from 10th & 11th

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

The Switch - Fishing report from 10th & 11th

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 pm

After catching a few nice Snapper in my first season i'm satisfied and made the call that it's time to start learning and targeting other species in the port. I grew up fishing Andersons Inlet & Shallow inlet, so Whiting has always been with me, they are great fun, especially when theres a hot bite with light little Whiting rods, its a dramatic change when you've been using 6-10kg outfits for Snapper the last couple months.

I headed out on Sunday for some Whiting. It had been about 2 weeks since i had been out because of the horrendous stretch of rain and wind we had.. so it was great to be out there. Left the Marina approx 40 or so minutes into the outgoing tide and made my way over to the Eastern Channel that runs between Middle Spit and French Island. Dropped anchor in 6m with weed and sand all around and it only took a few minutes before my rod did the whiting dance. On a 2-4kg with 6lb braid they really give it a good whack.. With the bigger ones taking drag. Moved twice and boated 15 and kept 11, don't want to keep too many.. not huge but a few were decent with the biggest 42cm and the smallest 33cm. Both have two fillets at the end of the day, super tasty! With the Whiting came a few pinkies, salmon and a little flathead. I stopped on my way home and gave my Grandparents almost half of the catch, needless to say they appreciated it. :thumbsup:
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-V9gZ4nHfBR5.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-PJ42ZJAStQRoA.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-02AkcBotwHMo6A8.jpg
With a stretch of a few good days i wanted to make the most of it and get back out there, if i can then why not? I Planned to go back down the Eastern and try some different spots in hope of a more consistent size (remember it's only my 2nd time targeting Whiting in Western Port.) I struggled early on, catching smaller ones that i let go.. in numbers too. I think i let go about 5 or 6 smaller ones on the first drop straight away. So i persisted and kept moving, eventually finding a patch of decent sized ones with the smallest 34cm and the biggest 41cm. However, this was not the highlight of the day. As i anchored in a new area that looked promising, with a stream trickling down the sand bank into the channel and a very sharp, sudden drop off.. a gut feeling hit me. I saw splashes and movement on the surface on the edge of the bank, at first i didn't know what it was but as i focused in more, i swear i saw a tail. In my head i was thinking "Thats a gummy!", Fortunately i had caught some Trevally & Salmon earlier on in the day that i kept on ice. Although i wasn't fishing for Snapper this day, i still brought on board a Snapper rod, just 1.. you never know what you might need. I rigged her up, a single 6/0 circle on the end with a chunk of Salmon and out she went. In the mean time i had just landed the biggest Whiting of the day, on the very first cast at the spot. Nothing was happening for about 10 or so minutes and i was curious, not even a nibble which was very unusual for the day. Suddenly out of no where, the Whiting rod took off screaming with a nice fat Whiting! But before i could even begin to make a start on him, the Gummy rod started to absolutely howl, it was going off its rocket with a huge run. I was struggling here with two decent fish on two rods and being the only one in the boat.. I picked up the gummy rod and made sure the hook was set and then frantically went back to the Whiting to try and get him in, i was winding the other rod to make sure the line stayed tight whilst i was winding in the whiting. I lifted the whiting in quickly then lunged over to the screaming stick. An absolute pleasure of a fight.. a nice gummy of 4kg, the biggest i have caught so far.. ill be honest. I was stoked, even though he made me re rig three rods that took 15 minutes..
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-M41dfpVsCV.jpg
I re rigged the big gear back up with a nice chunk of trevally and back out she went. All it took was 2 minutes.. and it screamed off again. Another nice table size gummy! Not too big but awesome fun.. especially when the day was going tough. It just shows, always trust your gut feeling.
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-kXOsnkOYiEZSoT.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-nG0ZIpvHYt.jpg

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: The Switch - Fishing report from 10th & 11th

Post by bowl » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:07 pm

Great report.
Smashing it!!!

Duffman

Post by Duffman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:08 pm

Nice couple of days. Well done.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:37 pm

2.days fishing.
2 lits of fish.
Cant complain with that.

Good read up

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:05 pm

bowl wrote:Great report.
Smashing it!!!
Cheers, love fishing new areas :thumbsup:

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Duffman wrote:Nice couple of days. Well done.

Thanks mate

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:07 pm

smile0784 wrote:2.days fishing.
2 lits of fish.
Cant complain with that.

Good read up
Too true, regardless of the catch it was just nice being on westernport again

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:32 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
smile0784 wrote:2.days fishing.
2 lits of fish.
Cant complain with that.

Good read up
Too true, regardless of the catch it was just nice being on westernport again
Yep know the feeling

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:19 pm

Definitely a very rewarding couple of days on the water!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Really nice work mate!!!
Good on you for giving the grandparents some of your catch.
I usually share my catch too when I get a good bag of fish like that with family :thumbsup:

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”