Fishing report - Mixed bag out from Warneet

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
Vargs

Fishing report - Mixed bag out from Warneet

Post by Vargs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:51 pm

After the Saturday morning essential tasks the wind did not look too bad so headed out from Warneet at 10am. The ramp tackle shop has been posting some good photos this week of snapper from the top end of the Bay.

While the wind was not too bad the bay was very choppy, not sure how that works. If someone understands how that is, please post as I would like to know what to look out for. It was OK when fishing it just meant we had to go slower as being a novice boater I would rather play it safe then be in a hurry.

Started at the far western end of Quail bank looking fir some squid while the kids fished using pippies on light gear. Half a dozen salmon of various sizes with the best being 40cm on my daughters tiny rod. Best fight she has ever had and she was stoked. We also got our first Westernport leather jacket there as well as some of the usual local toadies. No squid for me as usual so we went to move off to near Joes island to put out some bigger baits.

I actually missed my preferred spot and was about 1.5km SE of Joes but not in the marine park. We had some bigger rods using salmon fillets and small ones with pippie. Got some more salmon, with the biggest at 45cm which was a great catch for my son. A couta, another leather jacket and lots of flathead of which we kept a few, best being around 40cm. As usual some banjos and undersized gummy, all of which went back.

We had two big bustoffs. One where there was give in the line and we were slowly getting line in and then it stopped having any give. I wondered if maybe it goes like this if you have a fish but it swims around a snag like kelp or something which then snags the line. I also wonder can rays just head to the bottom once they have had enough of you pulling them up a bit. Only fishing 30lb and it was a whole live bait so who knows. Gave us lots to talk about contemplating what it could have been. Speculation is part of the game.

Then went to Joes and there would have been about 20 boats out there. The current was heading west and most of the boats were just east of the island. No one seemed to be getting anything and it was dead quit for us. With underwater structure, do people think it is better to be where the current is coming off it or coming onto it? I would have thought where the current is coming off but that is not where most people were situated.

So overall a good session with good variety but still no keeper gummy, snapper or a squid. We had a good time cause I ended up in the wrong spot so maybe pays to explore a bit beyond the "hot spots".

Fried up the two big salmon and leather jacket. LJ pretty good but salmon might need a new recipe. They gave big fillets so maybe fish cakes next time.

Anyway what is shows is that I can catch fish but not gummies, reds or squid. If anyone ever needs a deckie and know how to catch any of this things, drop me a line.

I have stated using KL01 circle hooks on the smaller rods and I think they have improved the hook up rate when using pippies or squid. We seem to be losing less fish with just having to play the line and load up the rod versus needed to strike.

Just waiting for that next fine day to try again.
Attachments
Mixed Bag.JPG
The keepers
Banjo.JPG
Even though it is like pulling in a gum boot the kids like to have a look before it goes back.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 58 times

Re: Fishing report - Mixed bag out from Warneet

Post by Paulanderson » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Great to see a very happy daughter out fishing. The first time my daughter caught a decent King it was a grin from ear to ear! Salmon aside some good eating fish there.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:18 pm

A true fisherwoman. Happy with any fish.
Well done

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:25 pm

Nice report mate. Sounds like the kids had a great fun day on the water!
Nice mixed bag. Enjoy the feed :thumbsup:

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:33 pm

I'd be pretty happy with what you got too! Those sambos go hard on light gear in the strong wp current.

Have you ever tried sashimi or seviche? Best way to eat the bigger sambos imo

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Great read looks like the kids had fun too

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:02 pm

nice mixed bag well done with the salmon i like to take the fillets of and make salmon patties

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Nice report great to see happy kids fishing.
Mate head out with Shaun from Think Big fishing for some tuition he’s a gentleman and no-one spends more time on the water in WP than him.
He’s a walking encyclopaedia when it comes to fishing the area.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:23 am

The bay takes a few hours to settle after winds

Swell just doesn't disappear instantly as the wind goes. And the swell + current is what gives you 'chop'

Vargs

Post by Vargs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:08 am

Thanks. That makes sense given the direction of the waves and the current. There seem to be plenty of ways to find calmer conditions in Westernport as long as you are prepared to move around as conditions change.

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”