Squid in the Top End

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
Queasy

Squid in the Top End

Post by Queasy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:27 pm

We fished Westernport yesterday with the initial aim of catching a couple of snapper. When we weren't getting any action on that front we got a little distracted by the hoard of flatties in a couple of spots. None were big but every other was legal so we were getting a feed at least. At one point after getting a bite on a squid bait I wound the line in and saw what I first thought was a large flattie following it up. Then realised it was too big for a flattie, must be a banjo. Nope, it was a squid. I asked the deckie to get the net ready. The live squid had passed the squid bait, but did an abrupt U turn, came around behind the bait and latched onto it. As it did this I jerked the rod and was fortunate to hook a tentacle with a 5/0. Dinner!
IMG_6006-001.JPG
IMG_6006-001.JPG (113.76 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
The squid had clearly had a good chew on the squid bait. Anyone seen this? I'd always thought that squid was a good tough bait for many species of fish - never really occurred to me that squid would go for it tho.....
IMG_6002.JPG
IMG_6002.JPG (195.38 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
After that we tried another spot for snapper without success so when the tide picked up we targeted squid in earnest, catching more with squid jigs, but again we found them grabbing our pillie baits - the ones setup for snapper/gummies. They wouldn't touch the whole pilly rigged with the squid spike. But being a little slow to release the pille, we were able to get the net under some so came home with a good feed of squid.

And a reminder in fishing, as in life, even when you're not having a good day, its likely there is someone else having a worse luck.....
IMG_6000-002.JPG
IMG_6000-002.JPG (83.73 KiB) Viewed 1677 times

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Squid in the Top End

Post by Lightningx » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Nice report mate. Sounds like you ended up with a nice feed of squid and flatties. Can't complain :thumbsup:

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:19 pm

Lightningx wrote:Nice report mate. Sounds like you ended up with a nice feed of squid and flatties. Can't complain :thumbsup:
Yep, no complaints, very happy with the way the WP squid cook up.
IMG_5974-001.JPG
IMG_5974-001.JPG (169.15 KiB) Viewed 1565 times

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:31 pm

Gday mate. Good report. Have had other squid attack ones I've been winding up on a jig before.

As for that bait in westernport. You can take or leave the advice. But hooked that way I think that bait would spin a fair bit in tide. Id personally either pin a circle through the very top of the bait or snell up a couple of suicides and stick two in.

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:27 am

Agree with above Re: bait. Rigged like that will not get you much

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:07 pm

ducky wrote:As for that bait in westernport. You can take or leave the advice. But hooked that way I think that bait would spin a fair bit in tide. Id personally either pin a circle through the very top of the bait or snell up a couple of suicides and stick two in.
Yeah I make a habit of checking how a bait looks in the water before dropping it. That bait was indeed spinning until I cut a slice off one side then it stayed still in the current. More than willing to try your suggestions next time tho, thanks :thumbsup:

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:40 am

Nice work queesy

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”