Tenby Point 28/11

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Tenby Point 28/11

Post by 4liters » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:50 pm

Today's snapper hunt didn't exactly go to plan, but it wasn't all bad.
Set the alarm for stupid o'clock aka 1.30am so as to get to Tenby Point and launch the yak right on high tide which was at 3.30am. Lost my hat early on in the piece because I wasn't wearing it because I had a head torch (now I'm sunburnt as ****. Oh well).

I paddles out and soaked baits in a deep section of the channel until just after sunrise, and was visited by a 50cm (partial length) gummy which was promptly cleaned and chucked in the esky. Didn't really matter what happened for the rest of the day because a couple of kg of flake is always nice to come home with. Since it was light, I decided to head back to shore and hunt around for some crabs to use as bait. Not only did I get a handful of crabs, there was a bunch of pillies that had been left for the birds by some people fishing for gummies so I grabbed those to chop up into burley.

Back in the channel, I got a pinkie on squid but was getting plagues by huge toadies and tiny flathead. Changed spots just after the low tide and ended up at the entrance of the channel. While the big baits were soaking/feeding the pickers I dropped a small longshank with a bit of prawn on it down next to the yak, and it got smashed by a whiting pretty much instantly. After that it was almost a fish a cast until the top of the tide, and I ended up catching 9 whiting, a trevally and a ton of flathead only one of which was a keeper. Probably my best haul ever not including bait collecting.

By that stage the wind picked up and waves were coming over the side of the yak so I pulled the pin and headed back to shore.

Unfortunately the phone is ****** so no pictures this time. I dropped the flake and the flathead at my parents place and we took a couple of pictures there; I'll put them up when they arrive. The tongue bug in the trevally decided to give birth in the esky and when I got home half the fish were covered in little crawlers. Luckily they washed off easily enough but it was still ******* gross.

Still looking for that big red. Maybe next weekend at Welshpool will deliver.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Tenby Point 28/11

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:34 am

Lovin the trev's now! Next weekend should be good I'm gonna hunt em down in the Albert river!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:32 am

Are you going to be landbased? If there's going to be people landbased next weekend I might have some mates who'd been keen to come along next weekend. I just assumed we'd be all out in boats/yaks and didn't want to bring anyone who'd be stuck on the piers while I was out on the water.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:03 am

Sounds a good day out beside the sunburn, well done :a_goodjob: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:18 am

Nice catch 4liters flake and whiting can't go wrong with that :)
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:13 am

Nice feed of fish you caught there :thumbsup:

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:21 am

davek wrote:Sounds a good day out beside the sunburn, well done :a_goodjob: cheers davo
Yeah, can't complain although missing out on a decent snapper (again) is starting to get tiresome.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:15 am

4liters wrote:Are you going to be landbased? If there's going to be people landbased next weekend I might have some mates who'd been keen to come along next weekend. I just assumed we'd be all out in boats/yaks and didn't want to bring anyone who'd be stuck on the piers while I was out on the water.
The pier has been fishing well for whiting this past week. Plenty to be caught land based around the area, if they are prepared to travel 30mins or so to find it.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:18 am

Any accessible surf fishing in the area?

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:27 am

Reeves & Woodside, would be the easiest.

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”