Lang Lang 18/10

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Lang Lang 18/10

Post by 4liters » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:57 pm

Headed out to Lang Lang this morning for my first taste of the muddy end of Westernport with a few guys from the Vyak forum. Met Nello at the ramp and we launched at around 7, we shared the first gummy (Nello caught it but it got tangled in my anchor rope so I landed it and let it go). Not long after my rod goes off, drag screaming and something making a bit of commotion on the surface. It wrapped itself around my second line but I was able to untangle it and bring in my first eagle ray.

A rig had cracked off as I cast early on in the session, and it was a bit of a surprise when I pulled the anchor in and found the rig had got caught on it, and a couple of small flathead had eaten the baits. One was gill hooked and ended up in the bait box but the other was released.

A while later the lighter of my two snapper rods (baited with a big squid head, didn't think that one through :oops: ) went screaming off and I had quite a long wrestle with what I assume was a short-tail stingray, the ray won round one when it snapped my rod in half as I tried to lift it off the bottom, then it won round two when the line broke while I tried to bring it in with half the rod. Lucky it was a cheap rod that I didn't really like, and it kept me entertained for a while.

I ended up moving a bit further down where on the sounder it looked like there was a bit of reef right on the edge of the channel. Got another ray on one of my light rods which promptly busted off, and after a plague of tiny rock cod I finally landed a gummy of my own, although it was under size so I let it go. Then I moved over into some shallower water closer to LL and after some time I got the second gummy of the day, also undersize.

After the second gummy it was time to pull the pin, Nello, Westy and Cheater had already headed in and I made pretty good time with the wind and tide behind me.
On the whole it was a really enjoyable day on the water despite the lack of keepers.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Lang Lang 18/10

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Sounds like a good day! If ur on ground finding rays and little gummies rest assured it's a common ground for bigger gummies and snapper!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:04 pm

BIG GAV wrote:Sounds like a good day! If ur on ground finding rays and little gummies rest assured it's a common ground for bigger gummies and snapper!
that it is ! at times

nice to meet you today Ian ( 4litres )

I also slide down to Lang Lang but at a more leisurely time 9 am met up with a few Vyakkers on the water and made my way further south
stopping just past Stockyard point for bugger all then further south to almost Blue Gum point
one under size gummy a just size flatty and a good load up and run then a dropped bait

so a good 20 to 25 km on the paddle today with out a lot to show for it

Nice day for a paddle though
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:49 pm

Now you got a good excuse to buy a new rod ;-)

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:05 am

Fish-Hunter wrote:Now you got a good excuse to buy a new rod ;-)
Sure do! I never liked the one that broke, it was too long for the yak, not long enough for the beach and was a bit floppy. I'll probably get another Kmart snapper rod, they're cheap and seem pretty indestructible. Plus I won't feel bad about taking a hacksaw to the rod butt.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:23 am

4liters wrote: I'll probably get another Kmart snapper rod, they're cheap and seem pretty indestructible. Plus I won't feel bad about taking a hacksaw to the rod butt.
Agree, your logic is sound :cheers:

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:59 am

Sounds like an enjoyable day with plenty of action

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:37 am

Nice report mate!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:22 pm

God damn I need a yak.

Great work Goonbag! Glad you're getting onto some fish. Breaking a rod while fishing is worth it just to be able to tell the story of how it happened.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:49 pm

DougieK wrote:God damn I need a yak.

Great work Goonbag! Glad you're getting onto some fish. Breaking a rod while fishing is worth it just to be able to tell the story of how it happened.
Especially when the rod is ****, snapping a $300 carbon fiber masterpiece might take a bit of gloss off the story.

I did tell you about the one for sale S/H on vyak didn't I? :rofl:

Seriously though, I think I've almost caught more fish (in total, not just keepers) in the last three trips than I have in my entire landbased fishing (admittedly a lot of that was over a particularly fruitless winter). Would recommend it to anyone. I'm still keen to hit up the beaches and rock ledges though.

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”