bronze whaler, top end

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: bronze whaler, top end

Post by ducky » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:21 am

Snapper Snatcher wrote:
ducky wrote:I've only hooked the one thresher and I had to downsize from an 8/0 to a 4/0 to do it. But I pulled the bloody hooks after a few minutes.

It was up in Portland. Was at the caravan park after a day offshore was watching some locals get dusted time after time from these threshers that were chasing mullet in the shallows. Grabbed a wire trace and had a crack myself.

Great vid, did you try the 8/0 and have a take and not hook up? They do have small mouths but even an 8/0 isn't that big I would think.
yeah it was weird, missed 4 hookups, crimped on a 4/0. first hit.

brycieboy

Post by brycieboy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:33 am

now for those of us who havnt caught a shark and want to.... what process do you have once its at the boat? i saw a vid of a mako i think that was flying gaffed, tail hooked the dragged backwards for a bit before being brought into the boat. tho i have also seen vid of people getting them in the boat and grabbging them. sofar i think my first one i will be screaming in th fetal position on the other side of the boat.

Chris9208

Post by Chris9208 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:22 pm

brycieboy- don't bring a half decent one in the boat until your sure its dead. Even after you think there fully spent, they go berserk. We tire them out, get them along side the boat an tail wrap them. Then knife them underneath in the throat (you'll no when you hit the right spot from the amount of blood) then untie the tail an let it kick around till its done.

snapper hunter- the tuna would be probly 50-60cm, an we halve them.

redhunter- we have a lot of friends an family, an they all love flake haha

misheen- that's exactly what we use, cant beat it.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:17 pm

All good mate. Glad to hear that it goes to good use :)
Out of curiosity, how many sets of jaws do you have hanging in the shed?
Apparently the jaws of a 13 footer fit over an average bloke. A mate of mine is onto the challenge, cos his 12 footer wasn't quite big enough.
So, when you heading out for those Lysaughts unstoppables? ( just keen for another report)

Chris9208

Post by Chris9208 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:32 pm

no jaws hanging yet :( got 4 sets in the freezer tho lol. ready to be cleaned properly. Hoping to get out this weekend but all depends on the wind. I just got told by my brother, that a bloke we know caught a 109kg mako last night off the shore by hand! 3 of them were whiting fishing in the san remo area, an one of them was knee deep in water walking out to cast. Heard splashing an looked around with his torch an spotted a mako chasing baitfish right near him. Yelled out to his 2 other mates an they ran in an dragged it onto the beach! Hard to believe I know, because I didn't believe it myself but the pictures don't lie. will get my brother to send them to me an I will upload them.
10881695_10152512860412231_69234292218610944_n.jpg
Last edited by Chris9208 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:48 pm

Chris9208 wrote:no jaws hanging yet :( got 4 sets in the freezer tho lol. ready to be cleaned properly. Hoping to get out this weekend but all depends on the wind. I just got told by my brother, that a bloke we know caught a 109kg mako last night off the shore by hand! 3 of them were whiting fishing in the san remo area, an one of them was knee deep in water walking out to cast. Heard splashing an looked around with his torch an spotted a mako chasing baitfish right near him. Yelled out to his 2 other mates an they ran in an dragged it onto the beach! Hard to believe I know, because I didn't believe it myself but the pictures don't lie. will get my brother to send them to me an I will upload them.
I saw that to.... Amazing!
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:42 pm

That's pretty cool but from what I have been told it was most likely caught and released from a boat out deep and was dying, that's the reason it came in so close. I highly doubt it would come that close to chase baitfish and holding onto a fit mako of that size would be incredibly hard.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

Chris9208

Post by Chris9208 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:25 pm

i agree snapper snatcher, a shark of that size would take more than 3 blokes to drag it up the beach in 1metre of water. Even if you tired it out on a rod an reel first then tried to grab it, in 1 metre of water it would go ballistic. They ended up with 9 blokes there dragging it up the beach on a boogie board till they got it to the ute. its on 7news now!

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:51 am

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how far off the bottom I should be floating a bait to catch a bronzie? (I had some 'tackle shop advice' not to use a balloon at all and let the bait sit unweighted on the bottom?)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:31 am

Did you remore the pics

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”