bronze whaler, top end

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: bronze whaler, top end

Post by Mattblack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:01 pm

No, I think the pics expired....It's a really old post I dug up (I liked Ducky's idea of "packing one heavy artillery rod each time I hit up westernport") Just not sure wether to use a balloon or not.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Mattblack wrote:Just wondering if anyone can tell me how far off the bottom I should be floating a bait to catch a bronzie? (I had some 'tackle shop advice' not to use a balloon at all and let the bait sit unweighted on the bottom?)
Just off the bottom (maybe a metre or so) would be my advice, unless you like catching rays.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Mattblack wrote:Just wondering if anyone can tell me how far off the bottom I should be floating a bait to catch a bronzie? (I had some 'tackle shop advice' not to use a balloon at all and let the bait sit unweighted on the bottom?)
Just off the bottom (maybe a metre or so) would be my advice, unless you like catching rays.
Cheers, sounds like pretty good advice....any idea what size hook and wire trace I should be using?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:17 pm

Depends on the depth.

I like to keep the bait about 10m down from the surface.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Redhunter wrote:
Cheers, sounds like pretty good advice....any idea what size hook and wire trace I should be using?
Personally I wouldn't go too large or heavy at this time of year. They will usually be smaller bronzies this time of year, and you want to have a chance at a thresher too which have a small mouth on them, along with hammers. 8/0 to 10/0 on a 200-250lb trace should be ample. A twin hook rig is a better option, if you have the option. Make sure you have a decent outfit to rig up on as bronzies and threshers can easily empty a std spool. Both sharks follow the schools of bait/fish into the bays.
Something I've wanted to try is a live elephant shark under a balloon, when the elephants are going strong. Makos seem to love them. Every year I hear of people seeing free jumping makos at that time of year off Cowes or Rhyll. Gotta be worth a crack I reckon!

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”