bronze whaler, top end

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: bronze whaler, top end

Post by ducky » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Sounds exactly how I'd rig up for makos. Definitely got me interested in doing the same thing in the bay proper. Good work mate.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:03 pm

Sweet...!...cheers for the diagram mate...

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks for the report and the photos mate. It's great to hear from someone who sounds like he does this regularly. Didn't realise there were so many around! I expected a few, but I wouldn't have thought there would be numbers for another few months yet. Interesting!
It just goes to show that it often pays to have a large bait out there. You just never know.
Have you had any other toothies have a crack?
I headed out with a mate near Pt Wilson (PPB) yesterday morn, hoping for a red, and decided to float out a shark line. Of course though, the one hit we did get was on mono and was a quick bite-off. Bugger! Was using a live flatty a metre or two off the bottom.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:59 pm

good report and excellent diagram mate!
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

Chris9208

Post by Chris9208 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:22 pm

haha redhunter 90% of the time thats how it goes. Yeah we've got a few seven gillers but they don't do much compared to a bronze. a few weeks ago we were out, my brother had a massive run that went like a freight train. Extremely quick and heaps of weight, but only lasted the one run and spat it. When he bring it in to re-bait, the bite mark in the bait was a lot smaller than that of a bronze or seven giller. We are thinking that maybe it was a thresher, especially with the way it ran. But who knows it could of been anything, thats what keeps us going back i suppose :crazy:

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:24 pm

Very interesting! Yeah my bet would be a thresher by the sounds of it, especially if there was so much speed in the run. Do you ever use livebaits, or always tuna as you pictured? The mouths of threshers and hammers is much smaller than compared to bronzies or gillers. It all points to a thresher, but you'll never really know for sure. The "one that got away" definitely keeps us going back for more :)
What do you do with all the meat? There's a hell of a lot there!
You don't own a fish n chip shop by any chance do ya? Lol

Misheen

Post by Misheen » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:40 pm

Great fish there, I bet u use the excavator to hoist your fish up!

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:51 pm

I've only hooked the one thresher and I had to downsize from an 8/0 to a 4/0 to do it. But I pulled the bloody hooks after a few minutes.

It was up in Portland. Was at the caravan park after a day offshore was watching some locals get dusted time after time from these threshers that were chasing mullet in the shallows. Grabbed a wire trace and had a crack myself.

snapper hunter

Post by snapper hunter » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:43 am

Some awesome catches there. Well done and thanks for posting. Your diagrams will do wonders for my hook up rate.

how big are those baits you are using?

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:18 am

ducky wrote:I've only hooked the one thresher and I had to downsize from an 8/0 to a 4/0 to do it. But I pulled the bloody hooks after a few minutes.

It was up in Portland. Was at the caravan park after a day offshore was watching some locals get dusted time after time from these threshers that were chasing mullet in the shallows. Grabbed a wire trace and had a crack myself.

Great vid, did you try the 8/0 and have a take and not hook up? They do have small mouths but even an 8/0 isn't that big I would think.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”