Queen Birthday Present ... Almost

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Queen Birthday Present ... Almost

Post by VooDoo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:17 pm

After reading The Salmon King (aka CarlG) thread QB morning being a good time for salmon at Gunna, loaded the van up and headed down to Gunna with a few mates. This was against the advice of Sr. Snappalot (aka FC) ... "too long for donuts!" he said. I had the wader sitting on the shelf for 3 years (even longer) so wanted to christening it as well. Also adding to the decision was to tag along with a few experienced fishos who had been fishing Gunna many times before with success - a chance to learn how to read the rip and finding the gutter I said.

Left real early in the wee hours so we could get first come first serve at my friend's favour spot. Got there in pitch black with only a few cars in the car park. Trek our way down to the preferred spot and it was not a disappointment either - even with my lack of surf fishing I knew this was the spot!! Walking in the the soft sand in wader is not the easiest thing for a novice but got there in the end.

First cast got into the ocean just about 1 1/2 before high tides. Heart was pumping and mind was hoping for the Bzzzzzzzzz sound of the reel straight away but that wasn't to be. After a few bait checks and re casting, one of the rod started to bend real hard but notice no violent shaking of the tip (as expected with snappers). First though was some weeds must have got hold of the line. Picked up the rod and started to feel the reel peeling off. Great!!! Fish was on but then mind started to think "what could this be?". Tightened the Shimano Aero 4000 further and started to slowly reel the fish in. Followed my friends instruction on the way down to the tee - "Don't skull drag the line line fish or no fish otherwise you will snap the line, just use the wave motion and reel it back". Thought it was a shark since the line just peeled off in mono speed so next thing was hoping that it will be a gummy and not any other one. After at least 5 mins of fight, the fish was in close near the wash. Saw the head with yellow stripes in the middle of its body - it was something but definitely not a salmon. Heart started to pump faster and the smile becoming much bigger - until the line felt loose!! A few more spin of the reel and my worst nightmare was realised. Lost it!!!! The effs words started to flow freely from my mouth (guess I could swear coz there was no kids around). Next thing came into my mind was "not the hooks or knots I hope" because that would have been even more devastating given I should learn from previous experience. It wasn't, so can not blame myself for it.

"What could that have been?" was the topic of conversation between all of us. My fishing buddy saw the yellow tail and I saw the head with yellow stripes on the body so we concluded it was a yellowtail kingfish. Now the disappointment of loosing it grew exponentially after realising that could have been a great present from the Queen herself but heck - that's fishing!!!

Apart from this episode, there was no other actions - between us and all other fishos around us. Guess the salmon also has its own public holiday to celebrate our head of state. Sir Snappalot's words rang true in my ears as we made the long trek back to Melbourne. But still wouldn't swap it for anything else. Got to christen my wader, had 5 minutes of hardcore fighting with something on the end of the line (now I realise how people hooked into game fishing), learnt to spot gutters - all for future preference. Perhaps my friends should have given me this advise on the up "You should have walk to the wash and bring up your fish". The bastard just wanted to stab the knife further into my wound!!! :icon_lolz: Yes, maybe he's correct and that could have been the difference. I will keep that in mind the next time surf fishing.

Gunna ... as Arnie's famous line ... I'LL BE BACK!!!

Cheers :)

PS - for all novice out there using the wader for the first time .. please don't let one go while you're wearing it coz only you and you will suffer ... found that out the hard way myself!!!

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Queen Birthday Present ... Almost

Post by davek » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Good write up mate, better luck next time hey, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:58 pm

I lose 9/10 fish that I lose within 3 metres of my feet. The landing a salmon in the surf is an intricate affair and unfortunately you can't drill it and the only way to get the hang of it is to just keep trying.

Good work though mate, it's an awesome place.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:54 pm

PS - for all novice out there using the wader for the first time .. please don't let one go while you're wearing it coz only you and you will suffer ... found that out the hard way myself!!!

Did you follow through??? :rofl:
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

VooDoo

Post by VooDoo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:01 pm

raco09 wrote:PS - for all novice out there using the wader for the first time .. please don't let one go while you're wearing it coz only you and you will suffer ... found that out the hard way myself!!!

Did you follow through??? :rofl:
:icon_lolz: ... thanks god a big NO this time!!! :icon_lolz:

VooDoo

Post by VooDoo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:03 pm

Davo ... Thanks buddy :)

DougieK ... Agreed with you ... will keep trying and practicing at the art ... can only get better for this novice one :)

spudtrans
Has liked: 30 times

Post by spudtrans » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:14 pm

great report, thanks for the advice, better note no bake beans for breaky then. lol

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:45 pm

Good post Voodoo but bad luck about dropping the fish, hopefully next time you might get lucky.
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:01 pm

want some coffee with your donut?

Don't worry, Carl, Poodoo +1 and I also had donuts today.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

VooDoo

Post by VooDoo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:07 pm

Fish-cador wrote:want some coffee with your donut?

Don't worry, Carl, Poodoo +1 and I also had donuts today.
Yes Please Sir!!!

But with no milk ... I am lactose intolerant ... don't want the drama with hot air and wader again :icon_lolz:

Should have stayed in Port Melbourne and I would had another Bream party yesterday but would know jack all about surf fishing if didn't go :)

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”