Sunday morning at the Gun

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Sunday morning at the Gun

Post by DougieK » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:42 pm

Raulfc7 wrote:Always found the poppers to get more hits then bait in the past never fished without them when soaking baits in the surf

Is there a specific popper you would recommend for use on Penninsula back beaches or will anything with some white and blue and feathers work?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:49 pm

DougieK wrote:
Raulfc7 wrote:Always found the poppers to get more hits then bait in the past never fished without them when soaking baits in the surf

Is there a specific popper you would recommend for use on Penninsula back beaches or will anything with some white and blue and feathers work?
Blue and green poppers were the ones that did the most damage. One day blue the other green. I bought some rainbow coloured poppers but haven't used them yet.
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:58 pm

I just picked up 10 blue and white poppers from ebay. Looking forward to testing trying it. Never fished bait at gunnamatta, maybe monday.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:06 pm

i've found blue, red and green all to work well silver occasionally gets hits but normally it is the more coloured ones that get hits. do you guys bait the surf poppers?
edit: all the ones i use of a white underside so to speak.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

brybry

Post by brybry » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:12 pm

For me, the lime green and green poppers are the ones I go to first. Then blue, then red. Have tried some of the fancier looking poppers that had pearlescent blue type finishes and red chemically sharpened hooks but they didn't get touched at all! The el cheapo ones seem to work the best.

Occasionally I might sweeten them with a small piece of pilchard but not often....doesn't seem to make a difference

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:31 pm

Spot on mate the salmon seem to like to smash the poppers as they are
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

brybry

Post by brybry » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:05 pm

I usually fish with a popper on the top and bait on the bottom of a paternoster rig and it seems to work okay. Given that most fish hit the popper, I'd be interested to know if anyone fishes with a popper on each dropper and no bait and what sorts of results you get.

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”