Tips for Gunnamatta

FishHunter81

Tips for Gunnamatta

Post by FishHunter81 » Tue May 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Hey. Does anyone have any tips for gunnamatta surf fishing?. I want to try and hit high tide. What rigs work best, line weight, sinker size. I also want to flick out a lure whilst surf rod is in holder. Finally, are there any main gutters that have produced? Don't mind walking a bit from steps past life savers club either. Thanks in advance.

ante552

Re: Tips for Gunnamatta

Post by ante552 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:57 pm

Not sure how next couple of weeks will be as last weekend i went and sea weed was building up.

Try afternoon hightide 50mtrs from steps might get into a few
Take some burley aswell

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Doea the sea weed alwaya get worse.over winter?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Nothing worse when there is a lot of seaweed around in the surf...

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 08, 2018 9:10 pm

With the lures give some halco twisties a go or some gillies metals or raiders. Caught plenty of nice salmon from the surf with those :thumbsup:

ante552

Post by ante552 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:22 pm

smile0784 wrote:Doea the sea weed alwaya get worse.over winter?
Not really just comes in around may for a week or 2 then clear.
And salmon are in

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Fri May 11, 2018 2:31 pm

Folks,
As a boy I used to go Tailor fishing with my father up at Fraser Island during Easter Holidays every year, whilst it that was a good 40 year ago now, I do have fond memories of pitching tents in among the sand dunes, catching our own pippies and worms, picking oysters off the Mahrino wreck, and of course plenty of fishing on the 90 mile beach....

Anyway, having read a few reports on Gunnamatta lately, these have whet my appetite to give beach fishing a go, instead of haunting my usual piers around PBB, and the Victorian coastal towns.

So, question for the folk who know Gunnamatta... If the wind is up (as forecast for Saturday, easing on Sunday) , how fish-able is the surf beach?

I don't so mind a bit of wet and wind,...I'm not stupid enough to try whilst the wind is up to 40km's as it is tonight and Saturday morning... but is it still a case of 'do not bother' if the wind is over 20km's? (perhaps Sunday). At what point does it become un-fishable because of the wind (or swell) ?

Gracias.
Brett

ante552

Post by ante552 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:53 pm

StarrangerAU wrote:Folks,
As a boy I used to go Tailor fishing with my father up at Fraser Island during Easter Holidays every year, whilst it that was a good 40 year ago now, I do have fond memories of pitching tents in among the sand dunes, catching our own pippies and worms, picking oysters off the Mahrino wreck, and of course plenty of fishing on the 90 mile beach....

Anyway, having read a few reports on Gunnamatta lately, these have whet my appetite to give beach fishing a go, instead of haunting my usual piers around PBB, and the Victorian coastal towns.

So, question for the folk who know Gunnamatta... If the wind is up (as forecast for Saturday, easing on Sunday) , how fish-able is the surf beach?

I don't so mind a bit of wet and wind,...I'm not stupid enough to try whilst the wind is up to 40km's as it is tonight and Saturday morning... but is it still a case of 'do not bother' if the wind is over 20km's? (perhaps Sunday). At what point does it become un-fishable because of the wind (or swell) ?

Gracias.
Brett
Ive fished at 40k westerly and its not fun but the catches were fun.
North or north westerly is perfect as the wind is behind and the dunes do help, but the surfers come out.

If southerly GOOD LUCK! You will need an RPG just to get your line.

Normaly ill use a patternoster set up 1 poper and 1 bait
5oz sinker on high tide
Otherwise a 4oz sinker most other times
For lures the others will help on that they have more experience.

Hope that helps

brybry

Post by brybry » Fri May 11, 2018 9:43 pm

Just a word of caution, Gunnmatta can be a scary place to fish when the swell is up. Waves can reach right up to the back of the beach.

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Fri May 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Appreciate the word, I'll scope it out beforehand with that in mind on Sunday when it eases off

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”