Gunnamatta 24-2-18

Goodlife

Gunnamatta 24-2-18

Post by Goodlife » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Hi all, new to this forum...thought I post a quick report from Gunnamatta this morning ...strong northerly and loads of surfers out.
Fished from first light till 9 and landed 1 38ish cm Salmon on first cast (!) into first gutter left of stairs.... feeling like some kind of legend with magic fishing powers I walked the length of the beach and lost my best lure cos I forget to flip my bail arm...humbled, met a bait guy on the way back who said his brother just left with 10 salmon he lured just right of stairs near the rocks (hmmm)....anyway, packed the rods, had a quick surf, went home
Just wondering if the salmon are there all year, or does it it start to get quiet now till winter?
Cheers

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Gunnamatta 24-2-18

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:43 pm

Goodlife wrote:Hi all, new to this forum...thought I post a quick report from Gunnamatta this morning ...strong northerly and loads of surfers out.
Fished from first light till 9 and landed 1 38ish cm Salmon on first cast (!) into first gutter left of stairs.... feeling like some kind of legend with magic fishing powers I walked the length of the beach and lost my best lure cos I forget to flip my bail arm...humbled, met a bait guy on the way back who said his brother just left with 10 salmon he lured just right of stairs near the rocks (hmmm)....anyway, packed the rods, had a quick surf, went home
Just wondering if the salmon are there all year, or does it it start to get quiet now till winter?
Cheers
There are heaps of Gunnamatta reports in this forum which have heaps of information for you.

The salmon come and go, you could spend all day there fishless, leave and the person you pass heading down the beach could bag out.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Nice first report and welcome to the forum :)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:43 pm

Well done.
Keep the reports coming mate

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:54 pm

When he says near the rocks he's talking about the rocks 1.5km to the South East of the stairs. For some unknown reason the salmon often congregate there when they are not in either of the bigger gutters.

Spinning that beach is one of the best fishing experiences daytrippable from Melbourne.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”