Gunnamatta 05/07/2015

Sam Sneed

Gunnamatta 05/07/2015

Post by Sam Sneed » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:23 am

Me and bro in law headed to Gunnamatta yesterday as we were planning on the trip for a week. Was a bit worried about the weather, wind direction coming up to the Sunday. But was a beautiful and cracking day.

We got the at 7am, not much fishos at the time and was really low out there. We managed to find a decent hole near the first cove on the left as you walk from the stairs, so we plonked our stuff there.

We brought our surf rods with baits (pillies, pippies, squid) and as brought along my spinning rod [THUMBS UP SIGN]
Setup some poppers on our rigs we bought from BCF.

A couple came next to us using burley and had the bait rods in. I throw my in. Bang! double hook up. Not very big, 29 and 30 cm.
Bro in law throws it in line gets all tangled in the spool [ANGRY FACE] (its a new rod).

After changing the rods cause basically the new rod was stuffed. We both finally cast out. Bang another for me 32cm. 3 - 0 now [FLEXED BICEPS]

Try out the spinning rod with a few lures for about an 1hr. Nothing.

He catches one so it 3 - 1. All have been caught on pillies. Time to change rods again so I go back to surf rod. As for the next few hours fighting the tidal change in the in coming tide. Rigs going left to right, right to left. We are both fuming.

For about 30mins the currents stop. Bang he's on. A lazy 1kg salmon that didnt give a fight at all. He thought it was weeds at first.

All looking good, I try spinning again. Nothing for the 1hr. Back on the baits agian, while we at it waves were horrendous and our stuff almost got swept away. [FACE WITH LOOK OF TRIUMPH]

He catches another 500g just after high tide. Would of been 3pm.

So we are a draw now 3 - 3. Try the spinning again for the next 1hr. Felt some tug the line.

A little tadpole that hooked on its back. Lol. Felt sorry for it, had two hooks on its back. Managed to remove them without causing too much damage and let it go.

Call it the day with 6. Not bad considering that there were hardly anyone catching any. A few people caught little ones.

Heard someone caught 3 sambos near the rocks on the left. Nice one whoever that was.

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Re: Gunnamatta 05/07/2015

Post by seephil » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:34 am

Great report mate. I was surprised with the weather myself... gutted i didn't go out for a fish yesterday

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:43 am

I took some pictures from my trip down there yesterday:
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:04 am

I'm always amazed at the different conditions you can hook salmon in. MrG and a third party and I were hanging off the end of Cape woolamai on a safe ledge and watching the swell slam into the rocks a bit further around. Didn't think there'd be much going on at the gun but there you go.

The line tangles may have to do with either overspooling the reel or putting it on twisted. I'm out atm and can't find the link but Shimano make a really good video about how to spool a reel properly, with different techniques for both braid and mono.

The swell there can get crazy. An incoming tide with a bit of swell can actually get quite dangerous. I'd suggest putting your gear right up the very top of the beach and just leaving your bait hanging off your rod holder. I've actually seen a woman get smashed into the dunes and then sucked out in only about a 1.5 there on a decently high tide.

Great work on the fish. Double hook up first cast would have got you boys excited. And that tadpole still counts! you can call it 3.5 to 3 :D
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Sam Sneed

Re: RE: Re: Gunnamatta 05/07/2015

Post by Sam Sneed » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:54 am

DougieK wrote:I'm always amazed at the different conditions you can hook salmon in. MrG and a third party and I were hanging off the end of Cape woolamai on a safe ledge and watching the swell slam into the rocks a bit further around. Didn't think there'd be much going on at the gun but there you go.

The line tangles may have to do with either overspooling the reel or putting it on twisted. I'm out atm and can't find the link but Shimano make a really good video about how to spool a reel properly, with different techniques for both braid and mono.

The swell there can get crazy. An incoming tide with a bit of swell can actually get quite dangerous. I'd suggest putting your gear right up the very top of the beach and just leaving your bait hanging off your rod holder. I've actually seen a woman get smashed into the dunes and then sucked out in only about a 1.5 there on a decently high tide.

Great work on the fish. Double hook up first cast would have got you boys excited. And that tadpole still counts! you can call it 3.5 to 3 :D
Haha 3.5 is good with me.

Normally we head down Cape Woolamai. Every time we been there, we have caught. How did you go Dougie?

But we thought we change it up this time.

Gee arms and shoulders are sore today after yesterday.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Quiet day for us, usual suspects around buy nothing to exciting
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:47 pm

I was there yesterday as well, just chucking lures. Tough day with that big swell and weed...!

drewb

Post by drewb » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:26 pm

I fished Saturday morning at sunrise, dropped one smallish one right on the beach but was pretty quiet otherwise. It was a bit of a washing machine with some biggish swell and crosswind. Saw a couple of bait guys get a few, but wasn't any great size to them.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Was down there yesterday from around 2:45 till 5:45 spinning. Loads of weeds :Boxing: I did nearly the whole beach, went all the way to the end by rocks on the beach (not sure if you can go round that jutting out section to more beach???). Just as I got back near the dune that goes to the car park I hooked up a small 30cm Sambo. So he's hitting the plate tonight. Great sunset too :)
IMG_20150706_081643.jpg
Sunset at the Gun
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:56 pm

Had planned to go there yesterday, except the daughter had other ideas.

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”