Gunnamatta tomorrow

vipboy21

Gunnamatta tomorrow

Post by vipboy21 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:02 pm

I everyone. I'm think of heading to gunna tomorrow at sunrise but looking at weather forecast it says wind 30+km NW, it is fishable or should I try somewhere else. thanks for any advices

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Gunnamatta tomorrow

Post by poodoo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Yeah NW isn't ideal conditions for surf spinning with a lure. Anything with a westerly means white water everywhere. However if you are bait fishing then as long as you can plonk into the gutter you are in with a chance.

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:49 pm

You're probably better off in the arvo after 3ish when the wind will die down. Fish till Sunset

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:36 pm

How do metal lures go after sunset? I've got a couple with glow paint on them.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:50 pm

i have caught them 1/2 an hr after sunset (dark) before on slugs with the glow paint on them, just brought a headlamp to light them up before casting again.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Cheers! Handy to know. Did the fish stop biting after 1/2hr after sunset or did you stop fishing?
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:12 pm

You can catch salmon in total darkness on lures, and no, they don't have to be glow lures, they use their lateral line to sense vibration or movement in the water, only using eyesight when they're close to their target.
With lures, you are not restricted to gutters. It's a common misconception, that came about because bait fishos will only fish in gutters because their rigs won't hold in shallow moving water I suppose. Adam, Dougie, myself and quite a few others have had monster sessions in knee deep water. The salmon move all over the place, if the baitfish are in shallow, so are the salmon.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:28 pm

Yeah, I haven't really done a session where I've worked the place over thoroughly yet. I might do that Sunday. A couple of casts every 10-20m or so and move along.

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:50 pm

4liters wrote:Cheers! Handy to know. Did the fish stop biting after 1/2hr after sunset or did you stop fishing?
I finished fishing and left them biting. Had more success in the dark after sunset as opposed to in the morning. Thats just my experience.

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:54 pm

CarlG wrote:You can catch salmon in total darkness on lures, and no, they don't have to be glow lures, they use their lateral line to sense vibration or movement in the water, only using eyesight when they're close to their target.
With lures, you are not restricted to gutters. It's a common misconception, that came about because bait fishos will only fish in gutters because their rigs won't hold in shallow moving water I suppose. Adam, Dougie, myself and quite a few others have had monster sessions in knee deep water. The salmon move all over the place, if the baitfish are in shallow, so are the salmon.
Bait fishos are trying to be where the fish might pass where as the lure fishermen are finding the fish and working out where they have moved to. They could b anywhere in the waves, hiding in the white water, behind the last breaker etc

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”