The Gunnamatta trudge.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: The Gunnamatta trudge.

Post by 4liters » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:03 pm

jsonh wrote:Had a full day at Gunnamatta today, the weather was amazing, pretty calm and overcast. First time spinning for Salmon in my life not a good start, but I'm pretty stubborn so I'll keep trying.

I was using a Gillies metal lure 40g and had a Gillies 60g glow in the dark belly as well.

Arrive at around 8:30am and proceeded to spin all the gutters with the 40g Gillies, saw a two bait fishos who weren't having any luck, kept moving from gutter to gutter all the way to the rocks!! (boy guns is a long beach), got tired and hungry so I stopped at the rocks and had a snack and took a few photos.
Tried spinning off the rocks but after a few high waves decided it was too dangerous by myself so started to head back.
Changed over to the 60g Silver lure with the glow in the dark belly and proceeded to spin all the gutters on my way back.

Nothing :(

spoke to a few surfers who said they couldn't see any salmon while they were out there today (usually they see a few schools)

I wonder if the results would have been the same with bait? I'm so torn, bloody good workout though, I'm going to sleep well tonight and probably keep the misses up with my snoring.

you win some, you lose some, I'll be back Guns!

Regards Jason :|
I guess sometimes they're there and sometime they aren't. Some days they might all be in the gutters and the bait fishos with clean up, other days they might be all the way up the other end of the beach or scattered all along it and the spin fishos will find them and do well.

This is the first year I've fished it so I have nothing to compare it with but I've herd a few people say it hasn't been up to its best this year. That's just fishing though, some seasons are good, some are bad.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

burks

Re: The Gunnamatta trudge.

Post by burks » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:25 pm

I was there at first light yesterday with a mate, and we had the place to ourselves. Two hours of spinning, and all the action took place in a 30-second window. My mate hooked up but it jumped and spat the hooks, and 20 sec later I hooked up and landed one nudging 40cm. But that was at about 7, and not a touch after that til we had to leave for work at 8:30.

Keep at it, and you'll find them or they'll find you!

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”