The Gunnamatta Truth

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

The Gunnamatta Truth

Post by DougieK » Mon May 04, 2015 11:56 am

I must admit, I get pretty pissed when I see posts that say XXX spot is dead, I fished there for two hours and got nothing so it must be dead!

Reading the other thread about Gunnamatta made me mad yesterday. I see one dude saying it's too early for salmon when 14 days ago I posted a report of 30 fish all over 50cm. I see other guys doubting it as a fishing spot. I see people saying that there is nobody there therefor it's a bad sign.

Absolute idiocy.

Gunnamatta is by far the premier Salmon beach accessible from Melbourne. It produces more Australian Salmon more consistently than any other location within a day trip. Empty or otherwise it is entirely irrelevant. The conditions to look for are low swell, an offshore or gentle wind and dawn or dusk. Fish the edges of gutters where colored and white water meets the deep blue deeper water at angles, dragging lures in and out of the color changes. Use surface poppers for ridiculous results if you can find a patch of flat enough water.

Today I messed up and didn't take any spare leader down. I broke a knot third cast and tied my braid directly onto my 105 roosta. This is the result.

Just because you didn't get a fish the one time you went there doesn't mean the reputation of the place is undeserved.

There isn't another spot like it within a reasonable day trip of Melbourne.

Also, that fish i'm holding went 2.36kg and 60cm, which is my PB pretty comfortably.

Definitely too early in the year to be fishing for these mythical salmon......
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

bigdan91

Re: The Gunnamatta Truth

Post by bigdan91 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:04 pm

That's freakin awesome I was waiting for someone to comment back to that guy haha

Sam Sneed

Post by Sam Sneed » Mon May 04, 2015 12:36 pm

Good to hear a good report and good tips. Thinking of making a trip there in the next couple of weeks. How heavy is the surface popper? Do you get long distance with it?

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon May 04, 2015 12:40 pm

It's a Halco Roosta 105mm 30g that i've replaced the hooks to Decoy inline jigging 4/0 singles on. Casts fine but i use super thing YGK 20lb braid, might be a bit harder on finns or soemthing like that.

Halco make a 49g version as well that's 130mm but i feel like it's a touch big for salmon.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

bigdan91

Post by bigdan91 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:42 pm

DougieK wrote:It's a Halco Roosta 105mm 30g that i've replaced the hooks to Decoy inline jigging 4/0 singles on. Casts fine but i use super thing YGK 20lb braid, might be a bit harder on finns or soemthing like that.

Halco make a 49g version as well that's 130mm but i feel like it's a touch big for salmon.
think conditions are better this arvo or tomorrow morning before 130pm high tide?

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon May 04, 2015 12:46 pm

Will be unfishable tomorrow.

Low tide and last light tonight might put you onto a few. Stay mobile and keep casting until you find them

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Sam Sneed

Post by Sam Sneed » Mon May 04, 2015 12:52 pm

DougieK wrote:It's a Halco Roosta 105mm 30g that i've replaced the hooks to Decoy inline jigging 4/0 singles on. Casts fine but i use super thing YGK 20lb braid, might be a bit harder on finns or soemthing like that.

Just bought a catana 902 with solstace 4000 reel. thinking of putting 15lb braid with 20lb leader on it for gunners. Do you think thats ok, what would you recommend for line?

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon May 04, 2015 12:55 pm

Sam Sneed wrote: Just bought a catana 902 with solstace 4000 reel. thinking of putting 15lb braid with 20lb leader on it for gunners. Do you think thats ok, what would you recommend for line?

That's perfect mate. I actually have exactly that outfit that I was using before I upgraded toa T curve.

Line is entirely a matter of choice. For a long time I was using the Shiyuza 13lb braid from the site sponser and have again recently upgraded to YGK 20lb.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

azkay

Post by azkay » Mon May 04, 2015 1:01 pm

Hey Dougie, what's it like as a night fishery? It's a couple of hours away from me, generally i head up a bit closer towards the other coast but over winter i wouldn't mind going there after work..
Az.

Sam Sneed

Post by Sam Sneed » Mon May 04, 2015 1:07 pm

DougieK wrote:
Sam Sneed wrote: Just bought a catana 902 with solstace 4000 reel. thinking of putting 15lb braid with 20lb leader on it for gunners. Do you think thats ok, what would you recommend for line?

That's perfect mate. I actually have exactly that outfit that I was using before I upgraded toa T curve.

Line is entirely a matter of choice. For a long time I was using the Shiyuza 13lb braid from the site sponser and have again recently upgraded to YGK 20lb.
Awsome thanks Dougie [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”