first time at gunna this saturday

skuxliss

Re: first time at gunna this saturday

Post by skuxliss » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:41 am

Shux i've just been using the standard mono and have been doing pretty well everytime I go to Gunnaz thanks to Carl!!

Haven't used the braid and leader ever before, but is it much difference to just standard mono line tied to the lure??

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:23 pm

skuxliss wrote:Shux i've just been using the standard mono and have been doing pretty well everytime I go to Gunnaz thanks to Carl!!

Haven't used the braid and leader ever before, but is it much difference to just standard mono line tied to the lure??
You probably would get more distance if you are lure fishing with braid to cover more ground, you will / should feel every bump / tap when the salmon hits the lure. There is also some really good mono out there these days with low stretch and fine diameters as well.

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:37 pm

poodoo wrote:
matt1991 wrote:What size rod and reel do you guys use there? A traditional surf rod size or a bit smaller?
9 foot rod 4 - 8KG - Shimano Catana is the standard. A 4000 sized reel, braid 10 - 15 lb and leader 15 - 20lb.
Awesome thanks for that mate...i wasn't to sure because of how far you should be casting out from the surf

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:23 pm

matt1991 wrote:
poodoo wrote:
matt1991 wrote:What size rod and reel do you guys use there? A traditional surf rod size or a bit smaller?
9 foot rod 4 - 8KG - Shimano Catana is the standard. A 4000 sized reel, braid 10 - 15 lb and leader 15 - 20lb.
Awesome thanks for that mate...i wasn't to sure because of how far you should be casting out from the surf
It's more about being able to cast the thing 200 times in a session, after casting a 12 footer 30 times your arms would be ruined as opposed to a light 9 with a 4000 on it

And although being able to cast far is great, sometimes you will get hook ups only a couple of metres from the shoreline

Matt

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:02 pm

matt1991 wrote:
poodoo wrote:
As larksy said there is the comfort factor but also the need to prospect for the salmon the more area you cover the more chance of finding them it is easier if u can cast far and have the lure in the water longer.

Lightning

Post by Lightning » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:53 am

What's usually the best wind for surf fishing?

drewb

Post by drewb » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:08 am

Lightning wrote:What's usually the best wind for surf fishing?
Offshore. Otherwise very light.

You can fish in a cross shore or on shore wind but makes things harder and you can't cast as far.

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”