Warrnambool land based

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
fitzy90

Warrnambool land based

Post by fitzy90 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:26 am

Hi all,
Thought i would give a brief report from my annual pilgrimage to Warrnambool this week end.
Arriving on Friday it was all about finding a quiet bend in the river to shelter us from the wind, a short drive to jubilee park and we were away. With the mouth closed the water level was high, it made sense to work the shallow areas casting plastics on a slow retrieve. After too many small hits and misses, we finally found a patch of fish willing to take the plastics, and ended up with 5 Bream to 37 cms, not a bad start for a few hours casting soft plastics. The wind was relentless on the Saturday, however luck was on our side as it dropped around the low tide time which gave us the opportunity to get some fresh bait, 30 mins of pumping spew worms and we had enough bait for the afternoon. we arrived back to the same spot on Saturday afternoon, the wind was finally cooperating. Using a light burley trail we managed to catch 9 size Bream, the biggest and last fish of the evening went at 40 cms. All up we would have thrown back 30 - 40 undersized bream which is always great to see. The river seams to be in a healthy state as usual which is why we will keep coming back year after year.

kaotay

Re: Warrnambool land based

Post by kaotay » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:00 am

Nice report, thanks for posting.

sedgez900

Post by sedgez900 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:30 pm

good stuff mate what sort of plastics were u tossing cheers

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Used the turtle back worms in the watermelon, i was finding i was getting hits but no hook ups, this was fixed by cutting about an inch of the head, use as small a sinker as you can with small lifts and pauses. Good luck

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Did you rig it like a texas rig with a running sinker or did you tie a loop knot to the hook with the sinker in the loop? Just curious as I'm just starting out with plastics and weedless rigged worms and not sure which way is the one to go with

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:43 pm

I generally use a meter leader with a small loop knot tied to the sinker, i find with the turtle backs you need weight at the jig head to get the action on the drop, the pause should be about 3 seconds after its hit the bottom to let the fish pick it up.

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”