Heading over to Warrnambool\Port Fairy - 5th April 2013

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
Rogue_Hunter

Heading over to Warrnambool\Port Fairy - 5th April 2013

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:05 pm

This Friday, my oldest son and a friend will be heading down to Warrnamnool to spend a few nights there. Top on the agenda, FISHING! ... actually ... that's the only thing on the agenda, maybe swimming if its warm enough. :thumbsup:

AFAIK, we have the Hopkins and we have the sea to work with. I believe the mouth is closed. Failing that, we can drive to Port Fairy.

I am not after "Top Secret. guaranteed to catch 1.5m jewies" .. as i know ill never get that info from a random stranger, all i am after is hopefully some guidance on where to begin and what to expect, especially for Port Fairy.

Fishing after dark is defiantly an option. Iv got gear to handle fish species from mullet to 15kg fish off the surf/pier. :fishing:

Thanks.

Bluegroper

Re: Heading over to Warrnambool\Port Fairy - 5th April 2013

Post by Bluegroper » Fri May 17, 2013 10:25 pm

Bit late but if you ever go again.

Breakwall at night - couta, squid, salmon, gurnard perch(be careful of poisonous spines, use plier cutter and cut em off, good eating also known to some as poormans lobster)

Hopkins river bridge - night fishing bream around pylons better fishing under pier peeled prawn or fresh sand worm. They do get Mulloway around mouth a few 100ms up but very rare.

Rocks right of the Breakwall - Thunder point - Sweep, Zebras, salmon, trev's.

Merri river - trout

Killarney beach - whiting, salmon, trev's , squid, mullet

Geoff

luca.321

Post by luca.321 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Hey guys.

I`ll sleep in Warrnambool at Lady Bay Resort on the 4th and I`m planning to spend a couple of hours at the
BREAKWATER. I have prepared 3 rigs: paternoster with size 4, 6 and 4/0. Which bait and location is the best? I`ll be there between 6pm and 8pm.

Thanks,
Luca

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:20 pm

Maybe trot over to Port Fairy if you have a chance, should be some fish there if the water is clear enough.

Reddahaydn

Post by Reddahaydn » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:22 am

Im in warrnambool tonight for work. Trying to decide between hopkins river bridge and the breakwater.
Would on spot be better this time of year?

lucaswilson

Post by lucaswilson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:16 am

There are some nice calamari being caught off the beach at Killarney. Was also a decent mulloway caught in the Hopkins last weekend, and a fair few bream and perch. Offshore, the gummy/schoolie fishing has been sensational, as well as a few makos for this time of year in close around the 40m mark off W'bool and Port Fairy. Few good early season snapper came in on the weekend too but not many, mostly pinkies.
Cheers
Cheers,

Lucas

For an up-to-date fishing report for South-west Victoria, weather forecasts, and much more, see http://richardsonmarine.com.au/

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Congrats on your succinct and informative first post Lucas. A real credit to you.

lucaswilson

Post by lucaswilson » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:31 am

The Warrnambool Offshore and Light Game Fishing club had a "gummies & gars" outing at Port Fairy yesterday. All boats caught a couple of mostly smallish gummies in the morning, with one 16kg schoolie coming in. A few flathead were caught, and a 7-giller and massive blue shark were caught and released.

A barbie lunch at the ramp, and then around to Pea Soup Beach where everyone caught a few garfish off the rocks there. I'd never fished for garfish, but fairly simple, small (say number 10) long shank hook under a pencil float, sand fleas for bait and a bit of oily breadcrumbs for berley (not much as they have small stomachs to fill). Good fun, nice eating and a really good sheltered beach for kids.

Cheers,
Lucas

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”