Portland over Easter, disappointing

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
Salmon

Portland over Easter, disappointing

Post by Salmon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Hey guys
Arrived here on Friday, so far only caught 2 salmon over 35cm, caught by the misses, and a few leather jacket over 25cm.
Very disappointed in portland as its supposed to be a prime Victorian fishing spot. If you're looking to come down here, the only reason you would is to go deep sea fishing for tuna.

Fish-Hunter

Re: Portland over Easter, disappointing

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks for sharing the pics & report , leather jackets are good eating . :thumbsup:

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:19 pm

A couple failed sessions does not a bad spot make

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:25 pm

ducky wrote:A couple failed sessions does not a bad spot make
Spot on. Just because you only caught a couple of salmon and some leatheries does not make it a bad spot. Could of been the wrong baits/techiniques/tides/time. Keep trying hopefully you will get on something decent.
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

rixter

Post by rixter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:30 pm

Wd , at least you got something , don't complain, leather jackets are good eating !. who's the rusky ?.lol , cheers , Rick
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Salmon

Post by Salmon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:07 pm

I know it's a good spot. I just think the timing is wrong. Was at the breakwall 2 days, stayed for the run in, high tide and run out. No one was catching anything. my technique and bait used were on par, as always. I actually dipped my feet in and the water wasn't really cold.
I think late autum it will pick up.
I'm really only after big salmon anyway.
The ruski is my missus :p

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:54 am

Portland is a funny place 1 week there are KGW upto 45cm, was catching 3 or 4 each night minimum 39cm, then 2 weeks later hardly anything but Salmon, mackerel and leather jackets.

But this place landbased used to be heaps better but i think overfishing has taken its toll slightly, there were even reports of a commercial netter, netting the Portland Bay area, since then you have had to work hard for your catch.

Also that break wall is a heart breaker, has lots of promise and everyone packs it out but you do the odds 200 lines for 1 or 2 snapper or bigger fish, you do the odds.

Just in case you don't believe me there are fish there:
2013-02-28-136.jpg

Salmon

Post by Salmon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:39 pm

Nice whiting, got a few today on the surf with some mullet.
Today we spent most the day on a boat, missus and I, went to the glenelg river, literally every cast was a bream around 25cm. No keepers though.
Around 3pm my missus dropped her line in and then bam, what she though was a massive bream started taking line off the spool. She started screaming at me when she finally got the fish to the surface. She was ecstatic, didn't wanna hold the fish lol so I had to. I'm so happy she had fun. Biggest fish she ever caught.

It's a mulloway

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Gonna hurt when she realizes that it's a species a lot of people target for years before they get one. Try and keep that news from her. Lol. You'll never hear the end of it.

I took my Missus fishing for snapper once. Pulls in a 4.5kg. Better then my pb of just over 4kg. Still hangs it on me. My rod, my bait up, my hook set, gave it to her to wind it in. Lol. All in good fun though

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:50 pm

ducky wrote:Gonna hurt when she realizes that it's a species a lot of people target for years before they get one.....
what is it?

Edit: thanks SS! just realised as well he did say what it was at the end of his post!!!
Last edited by Rod Bender on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”