Land based portland

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
Noxcus

Land based portland

Post by Noxcus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi guys i want to go to portland for some landbase fishing, the only place i pretty much havent been just want to get an idea whats on offer there landbased from piers and breakwalls to surf and what you can catch. Any info is more than welcome.

SFP Guy.

Re: Land based portland

Post by SFP Guy. » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:10 pm

Portland's a great land based place to fish, probably the best in Vic.

The Lee Breakwall is the most popular spot, you can catch Snapper, Sharks, Kingfish, Whiting and Squid to name a few. The best part is you can drive up the breakwall to where you want to fish!

My favourite spot is the North Shore, around Narrawong, great beach fishing, no huge swells and you can pretty much catch everything I mentioned above. The Kingies have arrived, it would be well worth the effort to send out a squid strip under a float to catch one of these hoodlums!

Cheers,

Cam.

Noxcus

Land based portland

Post by Noxcus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:29 pm

Wow thanks alot for the info Cam much appreciated mate, iv been the whole coastline up towards eden but only up to apollo bay on the other side. Been wanting to fish portland for years now and driving up the breakwall would be great ill be driving up there for sure now cant wait :D

SFP Guy.

Post by SFP Guy. » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:38 pm

No worries mate.

Take plenty of photos and let us know how you go.

I'll be heading down there for a weekend once the kids are back at school and things quieten down.

Cam.

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:13 pm

Also you can fish the inner harbour for pinkies, treavally, bream, mullet, salmon and smaller squid, these are all easy accessable areas, the Breakwall can often be difficult to fish and not very fruitful at times. I just went 15th Dec, lots of small pinkies to drive you mad when I was there. Got a few to take home but not the best catches I have had from there, it used to be very good but now its just above average. Good luck I will be up there in Feb aswell to let us know how you go.

Noxcus

Post by Noxcus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Im thinking of heading down in march any idea how it is up there in those times???

GummySlayer

Post by GummySlayer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:50 am

Too long a drive for a day trip :(

Noxcus

Post by Noxcus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:13 pm

Thinking of a long weekend trip for labour day just wonder if its any good up there in march

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:43 pm

Have been there last week and not much caught landbased, fished 3 days/evenings, for 3 pinkies, 2 bream, 2 whiting that were legal size and above, a few mullet about and heaps of undersize bream and pinkies that all went back. I can get you more reports as i will be going there quite regularily, a bit quiet at the moment for my liking.

Noxcus

Post by Noxcus » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Looks like the vic coastline is go e cold, friend got back feom marlo recently and nothing there also, iv had know luck at mornington lorne western port also cold

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”