Land based portland

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
Tonyzee

Re: Land based portland

Post by Tonyzee » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:19 am

Yep mate, this year has been pretty crappy for landbased all my usual haunts have been very quiet.
Still managed a few feeds here and there but nothing to write home about, similiar really from Marlo, Lakes, Metung, Geelong, to Portland it is harder this year. It can only get better from here?? Let me know when you are going to Portland and I can give you a heads up, might even seeyou there.

Noxcus

Post by Noxcus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Well most likely on labour day weekend hope the whiting are still there iv only caught one grass whiting this year absolutely no luck, looks like kayak upgrade is required cheaper option to a boat lol

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:29 pm

I hope by whiting you mean singular, because thats how I have been seeing them up there. That time or year you are probably in for some nice bream on the inner harbour, pinkies and the odd whiting. Also some squid in the shallows. Sometimes the warehou or haddock as they call them come in but its a bit early, they are more after easter. You will definitely catch something but size is the issue, if you see a guy with a black kelpie guarding his fishing rods say hi.

chris1980

Post by chris1980 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:22 am

Can you drive a prime mover on the break wall that's my only transport as I will be ther for work

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:40 pm

You could probably do it minus the trailer, but you will have to reverse a very long way. You have legs I assume, maybe walk up? :lol:

I will be there this weekend and will try the inner harbour trawler wharf, you can definitely get the whole truck on that one, has anyone heard of much landbased? I will report when I get back.

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:24 pm

Report 28th Feb,

Lots of undersize bream to keep you busy, also underize pinkies and trevally all sent back to live another day and hopefully grow up.

1 whopping whiting 45cm and fat as anything, and 2 legal pinkies to keep at 30cm. Also had to fish my rod back in from the water after it went in the drink, pinkie still attached, rod is ok but reel may not survive, re-oiled it and sounds ok so far!

Not much really there landbased but worth a crack for some whopper whiting.

pappyy3
Has liked: 4 times

Post by pappyy3 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi all

Took the family & Kids and Spent the easter weekend down in Portland to try a spot of landbased fishing.

Fishing is VERY quiet at the moment. Apparantly they are dredging the port / bay at the moment which has made the fishing very difficult. Dredging has disloged a lot of weed and your line and baits get covered in weed virtually every cast.

Fished 2 days on the lee breakwall and did not see anyone land a fish! (or get a bite for that matter ;) Fished the boat marina area and got a some nice whiting and leatherjackets. Overall nice to get away from Melbourne. ;)

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Good Report there, was thinking of giving it a crack this weekend, was very poor 2 weeks ago also, the full moon seems to be less productive there for some reason.

Was not keen to be there over Easter, there would have been so many boats and trailers parked everywhere.

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:06 pm

Land based portland 26th April to 28th April, DEAD, got a swarm of mackerel for 30 minutes 1 night, and that was it.

Port Fairy was excellent 7 bream, 1 tailor, 14 salmon, heaps of mullet and some smaller salmon chuck backs.

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”