Port Campbell

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
minimal

Port Campbell

Post by minimal » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:58 pm

Heading down to the Great Ocean Road over New Years week - staying at Port Campbell.

Was wondering if any of the forum regulars had any knowledge of this venue and could offer up any advice? Locations, fish species, etc.

I was also wondering if anyone knew where I could obtain bait, as I'd prefer not to do a long haul with an esky full of fish candy..

Thanks..

dart

Re: Port Campbell

Post by dart » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:30 am

Hey minimal, just found your post mate & wondering if you found any info.

We are heading down that way this Saturday, the 29th for a week, and I'm also curious as to what they're catching & bait etc. I contacted the tourist info centre the other day and got a reply -

"The big hitters off the jetty are whiting, trevally and salmon with squid making an appearance in the evening due to the lights on the jetty. Generally it is white bait or pippies that are used as bait but the chaps on the pier would be able to give you more up to date tips on conditions. Best bet would be to ask in Port Campbell Marine Services when you arrive and they will give you all the knowledge on the equipment that is being most successful".

Did you find anymore info than this??

Cheers

poppy62
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poppy62 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:58 am

Drop in at the caltex servo/fish & chip shop... guy there was very helpfull to me. Also try the Curdies inlet while your there, had a nice session on the salmon last time i was in area.

minimal

Post by minimal » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Just checking in on replies - thanks guys and welcome to the forum!

Dart - I haven't followed up with any further research, other than browsing the net. The info I have turned up is super generic - pretty much describes that there are a range of fish in that area, but it's not specific enough to say what is firing at this time of year, etc.

Poppy - thanks for the tip!

I think I will take a soft plastic/squid rod to work the bay and a second rod for chucking some bait out to see what bites...

Let me know how you get on Dart!

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”