Portland again

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Portland again

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon May 01, 2017 8:42 pm

Nude up wrote:I am going we'd thur where did you get your fish we will ring the tackle shop tomorrow for an update. Not sure if we will head to ljp or go wide
According to the charter guys most of their fish were caught between the rock and the light house. That is if you can believe them.

Another group I spoke too said that they caught theirs on the direct line from the rock to the horse shoe.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon May 01, 2017 9:33 pm

Thanks wolly we have well in the past out from the cape Bridgewater light house

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Mon May 01, 2017 9:59 pm

Nude up wrote:I am going we'd thur where did you get your fish we will ring the tackle shop tomorrow for an update. Not sure if we will head to ljp or go wide
I was going to go too. Going alone?

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Mon May 01, 2017 10:08 pm

ChrisAbout wrote:
I was going to go too. Going alone?
Going with the guys I fish bermie with even better in his boat mine is having a rest. I managed to get a few days off to line up with his days off

stesslmatt

Post by stesslmatt » Tue May 02, 2017 8:45 am

We went last Friday and Saturday. Landed Friday four fish Sat three fish, broke off on one at boat and dropped one with four or five missed strikes which was a point of chatter on the radio as lots were being dropped or short strikes. All caught between rock and lighthouse in 55-75m. Saturdays reports where closer to rock but of course we worked closer to lighthouse. Biggest for weekend was on Friday (dang couldn't weigh in) and was 22kg smallest was about 10kg of Saturday. Most fish (4) on Julia Gillard rapala or pillie coloured diver. one on short corner Jaks barrel bullet in copper and remainder on shotgun being purple zuker (till we broke that off) and 6" metal jet head richter in black and purple.
Sunday reports were light on for fish as it was a bit too calm for my liking. Ocean when we were out on Friday was 3.5-4m with 20 knots westerly and Friday much the same ocean but 10-15m Sou-westerly. Lots of spewing happening on charter and even saw the deckie of one charter having a spit over the side so was lumpy.
Cheers
Matt

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue May 02, 2017 9:17 am

stesslmatt wrote:We went last Friday and Saturday. Landed Friday four fish Sat three fish, broke off on one at boat and dropped one with four or five missed strikes which was a point of chatter on the radio as lots were being dropped or short strikes. All caught between rock and lighthouse in 55-75m. Saturdays reports where closer to rock but of course we worked closer to lighthouse. Biggest for weekend was on Friday (dang couldn't weigh in) and was 22kg smallest was about 10kg of Saturday. Most fish (4) on Julia Gillard rapala or pillie coloured diver. one on short corner Jaks barrel bullet in copper and remainder on shotgun being purple zuker (till we broke that off) and 6" metal jet head richter in black and purple.
Sunday reports were light on for fish as it was a bit too calm for my liking. Ocean when we were out on Friday was 3.5-4m with 20 knots westerly and Friday much the same ocean but 10-15m Sou-westerly. Lots of spewing happening on charter and even saw the deckie of one charter having a spit over the side so was lumpy.
Cheers
Matt
Fantastic report Matt...appreciated all the detail...looking forward to the next one!

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Tue May 02, 2017 9:31 am

Great report Matt good info cheers

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue May 02, 2017 10:04 am

stesslmatt wrote:We went last Friday and Saturday. Landed Friday four fish Sat three fish, broke off on one at boat and dropped one with four or five missed strikes which was a point of chatter on the radio as lots were being dropped or short strikes. All caught between rock and lighthouse in 55-75m. Saturdays reports where closer to rock but of course we worked closer to lighthouse. Biggest for weekend was on Friday (dang couldn't weigh in) and was 22kg smallest was about 10kg of Saturday. Most fish (4) on Julia Gillard rapala or pillie coloured diver. one on short corner Jaks barrel bullet in copper and remainder on shotgun being purple zuker (till we broke that off) and 6" metal jet head richter in black and purple.
Cheers
Matt
Now I slightly envious, unfortunately the guy who came with me insisted that we go out deeper, even on the Sunday when he was driving he would not listen to me and followed Matty Hunt for awhile. I gave in the end and we pulled the plug earlier than I had planned.

Which one is the Julia gillard rappel?

stesslmatt

Post by stesslmatt » Tue May 02, 2017 10:07 am

Pleasure Matt and Nudie....just looked at my report and re spewin line sounds like I was on a charter but we were in my 610 Crusher. It was lumpy but quite manageable. Heard about four or five charters say they had bags and were heading in about 11am as most of crew spewin....LOL. Over the years I have found seas need to be at least 2.5 with 10 knots on the top to fish well. Went a month ago to port fairy in 2m swell with sub 5 knots on top and over two days got three fish only.

Biggest tip at the moment is fish the terns, very little gannet activity but the fish are under the terns. if you see terns there most likely is krill and with that bait and with that TUNA....
Only saw working gannets once so maybe they are out deep on the albies but I'm not a fan of chooks.

Matt

stesslmatt

Post by stesslmatt » Tue May 02, 2017 10:10 am

Wolly...the Julia Gillard is the red head white body.......some call it Qantas but I like to call it the Julia

Yeah Matty Hunt worked deep Friday for two small fin and smaller chooks then Saturday he worked 65-85m off the lighthouse as we saw him a few times. I wont head deep till late May early June. Of all my trips I have found best is 50-200m. I like the shoe but long way and can get stupid busy.

Matt

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”