Hopkins River 29/10 - 30/10

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
samjas1316
Has liked: 47 times

Hopkins River 29/10 - 30/10

Post by samjas1316 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:35 pm

A quick report this time and not an article from Sam.

The plan was to give Lake Bullen Merri a quick fish for chinook and rainbows at first light and then check out the Upper Hopkins for browns before looking at the Hopkins River mouth where I had heard that the EPs and bream were about. We were off to a great start with a donut at Bullen Merri. We then tried the upper Hopkins at the junction with Mt Emu Creek but it was a very dirty and Mt Emu Creek was roaring along. We didnt stay long and caught zilch.We went to Richardson Marine where Scott Gray gave us a bit of a run down on what was happening (very helpful and great to talk to), where he directed us to the Upper Merri where the waters might be less dirty. We were desperate to give the browns another crack. After some bush bashing, we fished the brown, dirty water, for yet another donut. We weren't off to a good start.

Checked into the caravan park and off we went to the river mouth. We walked the banks on the Warnambool side of the mouth for not much action and after losing a few soft plastics and jigheads to some hidden rocks our confidence was way down. We decided to switch over to opposite side when the flats became exposed and the channel was easier to cast into. As the light was getting lower and deeper channel became more accessible we finally got a bit of action.
PA291330.JPG
Then on the next cast.
PA291336.JPG
They weren't big but at least we were on the board. Then five minutes later. Sam was on. I have never seen battle scars like these on a bream and a local I spoke to said that they were spawning scars.
PA291343.JPG
We fished till dark but got no more. The next morning we got a few more and Sam got his PB EP at 39 cm.
PA301351.JPG
These were the best lures for the trip.
PA311353.JPG
Not a bad trip. Hopefully we'll stay longer next time and actually get a proper go for the Browns.

Eddie

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Re: Hopkins River 29/10 - 30/10

Post by meppstas » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:55 pm

Great report & pic's samjas, the trip may not have started all that well with the fishing but you guys did okay in the end.. well done..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:46 pm

Great report mate! Tell Sam congrats on his PB EP. It's a beauty :thumbsup:

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:46 pm

Sam is a bit of a gun. just saying

brybry

Post by brybry » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:29 am

Great write up!

samjas1316
Has liked: 47 times

Post by samjas1316 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:55 am

Lightningx wrote:Great report mate! Tell Sam congrats on his PB EP. It's a beauty :thumbsup:
Basti wrote:Sam is a bit of a gun. just saying
When we fish we have a little comp going on with a whole bunch of convoluted rules and regs. i.e. First fish, total number of fish caught, total overall length, target fish, by catch, fishing sessions won, total fishing time, ratio of fish caught to time spent fishing, calling for extra time etc. No matter how hard I try to "balance or rig" the rules my way, he still beats me. I think I have lost 4 out of our last 5 trips. My one win came back in July at Paynesville where I caught more MULLET than him! :super: And he doesn't even care about that lost but I'll take it.

My now standard comebacks to him when he beats me is "I taught you everything you know" and "I'm deliberately losing to you so you don't cry" and "Lucky I'm guiding you onto the fish." :water: He keeps telling me that the Apprentice has now become the Master!!! But I don't want to believe it - not yet...

Barnsieboy

Post by Barnsieboy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:30 am

Awesome report mate

Your son looks stoked!

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:45 pm

samjas1316 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Great report mate! Tell Sam congrats on his PB EP. It's a beauty :thumbsup:
Basti wrote:Sam is a bit of a gun. just saying
When we fish we have a little comp going on with a whole bunch of convoluted rules and regs. i.e. First fish, total number of fish caught, total overall length, target fish, by catch, fishing sessions won, total fishing time, ratio of fish caught to time spent fishing, calling for extra time etc. No matter how hard I try to "balance or rig" the rules my way, he still beats me. I think I have lost 4 out of our last 5 trips. My one win came back in July at Paynesville where I caught more MULLET than him! :super: And he doesn't even care about that lost but I'll take it.

My now standard comebacks to him when he beats me is "I taught you everything you know" and "I'm deliberately losing to you so you don't cry" and "Lucky I'm guiding you onto the fish." :water: He keeps telling me that the Apprentice has now become the Master!!! But I don't want to believe it - not yet...
haha just as long as you've taught him everything HE knows, but not everything YOU know

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”