attempted regicide in Portland (i didn't fall out of the yak this time!!)

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

attempted regicide in Portland (i didn't fall out of the yak this time!!)

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:02 pm

This weekend saw various unsavory types from the vyak forum head down to Portland for a shot at the kingfish. We stayed at the Henty Bay Holiday Park, sharing a 'deluxe' cabin with Paul, Richard and Richard's dad Alex. Didn't get many photos because I was trolling most of the time and my yak isn't one of those fancy hands-free ones.

Friday
Launched inside the harbour not really aiming to catch kings, the wind was from the south so I just drifted north for a few kms with some baits on the bottom and picked up a couple of pinkies and some wrasse. I chucked a 200mm squidgy and a 9 inch zman grub and trolled them back towards the breakwall for no result. Did a couple of drifts from in close with a couple of squid jigs out and picked up a pair of squid. After that I though I head out wide but as I was passing the harbour entrance I spotted a boat haul in a couple of chunky salmon so I cast the big Zman at the rocks and started winding. Got a huge hit and a really strong run but it spat the plastic but I was on again next cast. The wind kept pushing me away from the rocks so in the end I did some circle work trolling big plastics close to the rocks getting hit after hit. The smaller fish were just hitting the tails of the lures and only the big ones were hooking up. They were going aerial too which was fun. Ended up with 8 nice salmon, plus I picked up a floater that someone hadn't looked after well to keep as bait. Would have dropped a similar number which was a bit frustrating. Maybe someone can help with this; I was using Wilson jigheads, they were pretty cheap on Motackle and I wonder if they are prone to being spat out compared to other brands. It was my first time catching a lot of fish on plastics so I don't really have anything to compare them to.

It was pretty bleak weather on Friday:

Saturday
We launched from the beach ramp at the caravan park on the North Shore, light winds made it a simple launch. I trolled plastics and a couple of hardbodies out a bit wider than most of the others and did a lap of the ship that was anchored in the bay. Someone got a kingfish near the ship and I got a big hit on the 200mm squidgy I was trolling but it spat the hook and having never caught a king before I can't say from the run whether that's what it was or not. A wrasse on a 6 inch Gulp Nemisis was the only other action on the lures. I needed to give the arms a rest so I put some baits out and picked up a couple of just size pinkies which I let go, plus a couple more wrasse and a scorpion cod/gurnard. Was not happy to see that spiky ****** because I'd lost my pliers that morning and that is one thing you don't want to have to grab to de hook. Ended up cutting the line and sending him off to impress his mates with his fully sick new piercing. I returned to the ramp in the afternoon having done about 20km, the beers weren't touching the sides on their way down after that.

Sunday
The others planned on launching at Wally's but I thought I'd take the safer option and launch on the harbour again. Turns out I was right (I like it when that happens), apparently they caught **** all and got blown off the water after a couple of hours. I got a pinkie in the harbour and a salmon at the entrance, both on a little wriggler I was trolling. I rigged up the sambo and trolled it around for a few km but got no interest. By lunchtime the wind was picking up and it was getting pretty sloppy outside so I headed back. I was thinking of hanging around for Monday but I wasn't convinced the fishing would improve enough overnight to make it worthwhile so I pulled the pin, packed up and headed home.

It was a good weekend despite the lack of kings, the vyak people seem pretty cool. I've got 4kg of sambo fillets sitting in the freezer waiting to be smoked which I'm happy with too. Need to do a bit more work on the yak because the mount that the front rod holders sit on got wrenched when the salmon were hitting and now it wobbles around a heap and I'm worried I'll lose the whole thing over the side if something really big smashed a lure.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: attempted regicide in Portland (i didn't fall out of the yak this time!!)

Post by purple5ive » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:09 pm

man those fish are good size, must have pulled some drag alrright and again i admire your balls going out in such weather with a paddle.

with the jigheads, what size hook did you have, and how did you rig them?
too small a hook and not enough gape between the plastic will see the fish throw the hook easily.
with the smaller ones hitting the tails, try a smaller plastic next time. those plastics are way too big for salmon.
try a 5 inch size for those sized fish or smaller
cheers

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:15 pm

That's a freaking enormous sambo mate! good stuff!
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:35 pm

purple5ive wrote:man those fish are good size, must have pulled some drag alrright and again i admire your balls going out in such weather with a paddle.

with the jigheads, what size hook did you have, and how did you rig them?
too small a hook and not enough gape between the plastic will see the fish throw the hook easily.
with the smaller ones hitting the tails, try a smaller plastic next time. those plastics are way too big for salmon.
try a 5 inch size for those sized fish or smaller
cheers
I was pretty happy with the size of the plastic, every pass over the school was getting a solid hookup. It just meant I only caught the big ones that could get their mouth around the whole lure. The guys chucking little 20g slugs were picking up the smaller sambos. It was only some time into the fight that they got off, a couple of times it was when they were jumping.

The 9 inch Zman was rigged with a 5/0 5/8oz jighead and the 200mm squidgy was rigged with a 7/0 1oz jighead. I'm not experienced with plastics but it looked like the hook was sitting high enough from the lure. If I remember tomorrow I'll put up a pic of the lures.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:42 pm

Nice salmons mate :)

Raulfc7
Has liked: 22 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:43 pm

That's some whopping salmon caught well done :cheers:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:12 pm

Like Ian I was down with the group of crazy kayakers at Portland over the W/E with the thought of chasing a kingfish or maybe a Bluefin as both have been active in the area
I don't know how many came there were 14 or 15 off off the Vyak site in the caravan park we stayed in and there were others spread around the town

however nether kings or bluefin were active anywhere I went over the week end on Sat trolling various depths watching what was a very blank sounder bough no joy
in close about 5 meters I hooked up a 43 cm stinky long fin pike and had a squid chase my plastic around for a while that was the high lights of the morning - no joy for a 15 km trolling session

the 3 in our group broke for lunch and headed to the pub for a counter lunch which by the way was the only good call for the day

after lunch squid jigs on hand another 3 hours were spent collecting donuts -- thinking back lunch was good probably should have stayed at the pub

Sunday again was slow we launched from Wallys very few bait balls and fewer target species out in 17 meters about 5 km out from the beach there was scattered bait balls
I dropped a 60 gram flat fall micro jig down for a bit of a flutter picking up one under size pinky snapper
by about ten thirty the wind was getting up and although it was safe enough the seas were getting sloppy lack of fish took it's toll and we pulled the pin packed up by lunch time and went to the pub -- again this seamed to be the best move for the day

back on the beach at wallys we had a couple of Marine Safety guys met us which is good that they are trying to get kayakers to think safety
they were happy we had all our safety equipment - handy they came along I scored another dry pouch for my phone for nix

Richard that bunched in the Ian picked up 4 kings out wide on Sat but no tuna he headed out to 30 meters about 9 - 10 km off shore
Shane was heading out wide today with tuna in mind I haven't heard how he went
4liters wrote:It was a good weekend despite the lack of kings, the vyak people seem pretty cool
your right Ian our trips away are damm good fun even if sometime it's hard work - but I must say I also enjoy the trips away with the crew off FV as well
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:16 pm

Great read
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:28 pm

cheaterparts wrote: Shane was heading out wide today with tuna in mind I haven't heard how he went
Probably heading back to Melbourne with a barrel on the Spirit of Tasmania

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:53 am

great report I think I will stick to my boat when the weather is like that.

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”