Skenes creek

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Skenes creek

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:43 am

Recently my girlfriend and I went down to skenes creek for a couple of days. For those who don't know where it is, it's a small place just before Apollo bay.
We stayed in a nice cabin with great views.
image.jpg
image.jpg (79.98 KiB) Viewed 4257 times
The next morning we woke up and drove into Apollo bay and went to the tackle shop and I asked if the fish were biting. He told me Johannas beach would be worth a go for salmon and gummy shark after dark. We planned a day trip and did a rainforest walk at maits rest and then headed towards johannas beach.
Arrived at around 1 pm to find it was blowing a gale! Determined to still give it a go we went down and set up the rods.
The first few hours was very quiet so I started spinning a lure. I saw a small salmon chase my lure all the way up to the shoreline. That got my hopes up! At least there is something here I thought lol
Finally while reeling one of the rods in to check the bait my girlfriend yells I feel something on. Turns out to be a small salmon but legal size at 27cm.
I then got one around the 1 kg mark and then another that I estimate was around the 1.5 kg on a red popper.
image.jpg
image.jpg
The next day on the way home we decided to have lunch at Lorne and after lunch we decided to check out Lorne pier. When we got there it looked fairly quiet with just a few fishing for squid.
We walked up the pier to the end and noticed plenty of fresh squid ink on the pier so she decided to fish for squid while I decided to use a lure for some salmon action.
I had a few hits on my lure but no hook ups. I think they were small trout while my girlfriend on the other hand caught 2 nice squid casting towards the weed beds at the top right of the pier.
image.jpg
image.jpg
We ended up having a great time. :banana: :water:

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Skenes creek

Post by BIG GAV » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:32 pm

Good report ya mrs landed some quality squid! Well done
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:37 pm

It was extra special for her because it was the first squid she caught doing it all by herself. She selected the jig, tied the knot, jigged and caught :)

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:50 pm

Nice squid
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:35 pm

Good report and catch, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:39 pm

Lightningx wrote:It was extra special for her because it was the first squid she caught doing it all by herself. She selected the jig, tied the knot, jigged and caught :)
You taught her well.. Sounds like a great getaway. Beautiful place and you managed some fish .. Top stuff :a_goodjob:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:15 pm

GONE FISHING wrote:
Lightningx wrote:It was extra special for her because it was the first squid she caught doing it all by herself. She selected the jig, tied the knot, jigged and caught :)
You taught her well.. Sounds like a great getaway. Beautiful place and you managed some fish .. Top stuff :a_goodjob:
Thanks mate :) yea she has learnt a lot from me but luckily for me she also loves fishing :)

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Lightningx wrote:
GONE FISHING wrote:
Thanks mate :) yea she has learnt a lot from me but luckily for me she also loves fishing :)
X2 my mrs loves fishing now, sometimes I come home wrecked from work and she busts my balls to go down to the Yarra for a few hours!

Her casting and knot tying is becoming quite impressive! It looks like u too had a nice getaway and topped it off with some nice sessions of fishing!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:45 pm

BIG GAV wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
GONE FISHING wrote:
X2 my mrs loves fishing now, sometimes I come home wrecked from work and she busts my balls to go down to the Yarra for a few hours!

Her casting and knot tying is becoming quite impressive! It looks like u too had a nice getaway and topped it off with some nice sessions of fishing!
Haha I know the feeling man. These days she often even checks the weather conditions such as wind direction, high tide times, barometer and if it's good she won't take no for an answer lol

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:52 pm

One of my favourite areas in Victoria, well done

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”