Collecting live bait

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
Freshfishin

Collecting live bait

Post by Freshfishin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:57 am

Hi everyone and happy new year for 2016!
I fish probably 80-90% fresh water but I'm trying to increase my salt water/off shore fishing but am very green when it comes to this type of fishing.
My question to the members of this forum is related to live bait in the Portland area, I would like to collect my own bait like makeral but I have no idea where to go or what to look for or if they exist in the Portland area. I have seen the sabaki bait jigs and understand how they work but without the knowledge of what to look for I might as well just dip em in a bath tub!
Look forward to reading your comments
Cheers Alex

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Collecting live bait

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:02 pm

Weedy areas or near reef will hold bait fish berley up with a few pellets or a log n work the sabiki rigs around it

I've found once u get hit on a sabiki rig don't pull it up straight away as quite often other fish will take the remaining hooks!

I'm not sure what bait fish are around Portland but I'm sure you'll get onto a few livies!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Freshfishin

Post by Freshfishin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:32 pm

Cheers Gav

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:08 pm

From what we saw this weekend mate, squid should be numbers 1, 2 and 3 on your agenda. We jigged them up without much difficulty on the breakwall. We were roughly 2/3 of the way along, but the weedbeds near the start of the pier are supposedly the gun spot...not hard to see why..

Freshfishin

Post by Freshfishin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:47 am

Carl after reading the thread about you Doug and ads I can see why they would be your go to bait which works for me I always manage to catch squid when I go down there.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:15 pm

BIG GAV wrote:Weedy areas or near reef will hold bait fish berley up with a few pellets or a log n work the sabiki rigs around it

I've found once u get hit on a sabiki rig don't pull it up straight away as quite often other fish will take the remaining hooks!

I'm not sure what bait fish are around Portland but I'm sure you'll get onto a few livies!
How many times have you honestly done this gav?

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:19 pm

Has anyone had any luck using a bait trap? I've tried a couple of times for no luck at tooradin where I know there are plenty of mullet around

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:45 pm

Freshfishin wrote:Hi everyone and happy new year for 2016!
I fish probably 80-90% fresh water but I'm trying to increase my salt water/off shore fishing but am very green when it comes to this type of fishing.
My question to the members of this forum is related to live bait in the Portland area, I would like to collect my own bait like makeral but I have no idea where to go or what to look for or if they exist in the Portland area. I have seen the sabaki bait jigs and understand how they work but without the knowledge of what to look for I might as well just dip em in a bath tub!
Look forward to reading your comments
Cheers Alex
Hey Bud,

Your sounder is your best bet when hunting around for livies, sound around between Lawrence rock and the harbor and you should find a school or two, just hook up the sabaki rig and drop it to the depth the school is sitting at, if they are there you will catch them. If your land based the Surry river in narrawong holds poddy mullet, just use a float rig with a size 12 trout hook with a bit of raw chicken, take some breadcrumbs with you for burley. You can also get poddies in the channel that runs under Cliff st in town.
I have caught mackerel of the jetty near the old boat ramp but i think there was a bit of luck that day as i have not seen them there any other time ive been down. If you need any more specific details PM me.

Fitz

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:07 pm

ducky wrote:
BIG GAV wrote:Weedy areas or near reef will hold bait fish berley up with a few pellets or a log n work the sabiki rigs around it

Mmmm smells like point of conjecture or whatever thread you put up a while ago ducky.
With that question ducky lol
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:04 pm

ducky wrote:

More than some less than others I guess.. What's it's meant to mean anyway? Do u think I was giving bad advice ducky? I guess everyone may have different opinions I'm just saying what works for me n the mates I fish with.
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”