Portland - Early April

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Portland - Early April

Post by Scraglor » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:24 pm

So my Mum and GF wanted to go away over the Easter long weekend, somehow my Dad and I have convinced them the best place to go, is to Portland, and to bring the boat.

We will probably launch 2-3 days, weather permitting, and while I have read almost every portland thread, most of it was from when I was landbased last year. There is a lot of info on the Tuna at the moment (massively appreciated) however, I have no idea where to look next month. I will obviously be hitting up compleat angler when I get there, but does anyone have any tips boat based that time of year?

TBH, I dont really have the tackle to take on the tuna, and we are going to give them a crack on our 750 Penns and 10,000 Shimanos, Im hazarding a guess we are way undergunned unless we find the real small ones. We were hoping to have a bottom bash down there too, and gummies, etc are really what we are hoping for.

I guess, at the end of the day, we were just hopimh for a few pointers, and a bit of advice. Not after anyones spots or anything, but we really have no idea where to go down there, and want to make the most of the trip :)

THANKS GUYS!

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Portland - Early April

Post by cobby » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:21 pm

The 10ks will be fine for most school fish. They're boring to catch on the heavier gear... That said the tuna could end up being way out on the shelf all the time you're there and in close when you get back, it's an unknown until the day. Plenty of Gummies and Whiting should still be around. Kings too if water temp stays up

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Do yourself a favour. If you aren't going to chase the tuna head down to the ramp in the arvo and pick up a good amount of frames. Because when the tuna are in so are the sharks. Plenty of free burley and baits.

adamk

Post by adamk » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:50 pm

friend from work was down there in 30m of water yesterday should be home bound now
Last edited by adamk on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wokka1

Post by wokka1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:51 pm

Paying it forward...I was given this info on another forum

https://www.facebook.com/wildblueportland

Check out the Wild Blue facebook page for reports and if you go back far enough there are maps etc. I was down there last week but only Yak based and I didn't make it out of the Harbour. The new launch facility into the harbour is a pearler but you pay for parking I believe. There is a ramp onto the beach at the Henty caravan park along the north shore and Wallys' ramp further north again.

I found people quite willing to share info down there so if the fish are on you should find out about it.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:00 pm

My misses is off to thailand at easter girlfriends birthday wohoo guess where I will be weather and work permitting

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:39 am

Thanks for the advice guys! Really looking forward to getting down there.

Hopefully the weather gods are kind, worst case we just fish in the harbour I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:13 am

As long as the weather is ok and the tuna are still in close, the only problem you're likely to have is the tuna being a bit finicky. Plenty of fishos down there have come back frustrated from watching tuna jumping and busting up all around them, but unable to get them to hit a lure.

If they are like this, then my advice would be to have a variety of different size lures on hand. Very small skirted lures seem to work well when the fish are fussy. Also, try and get out on the water early before the boat traffic gets too hectic as the tuna seem to be a bit less wary in the earlier hours.

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:25 am

ncr1 wrote:As long as the weather is ok and the tuna are still in close, the only problem you're likely to have is the tuna being a bit finicky. Plenty of fishos down there have come back frustrated from watching tuna jumping and busting up all around them, but unable to get them to hit a lure.

If they are like this, then my advice would be to have a variety of different size lures on hand. Very small skirted lures seem to work well when the fish are fussy. Also, try and get out on the water early before the boat traffic gets too hectic as the tuna seem to be a bit less wary in the earlier hours.
Cheers yeah, I'll have to pick up a bit of a range of lures. I don't have any at all currently. Hopefully the fish aren't out real wide. Not hugely keen on going all the way out to the shelf.

We usually try and get out about 3am to beat the crowds. Nothing worse than spending an hour in the car park that you could be spending fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:12 am

Well, willy weather got my hopes up early with a prediction of 4 knot winds, however now its up to 17 knots, so wont be bringing the boat down at this stage. Looks like we'll be restricted to the breakwall with the 17,000 other fishos down there over easter. Ah well, cant win em all, thats fishing i guess

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”