Collecting live bait

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Collecting live bait

Post by ducky » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:06 pm

BIG GAV wrote:
ducky wrote:
BIG GAV wrote:Weedy areas or near reef will hold bait fish berley up with a few pellets or a log n work the sabiki rigs around it

I've found once u get hit on a sabiki rig don't pull it up straight away as quite often other fish will take the remaining hooks!

I'm not sure what bait fish are around Portland but I'm sure you'll get onto a few livies!
How many times have you honestly done this gav?
More than some less than others I guess.. What's it's meant to mean anyway? Do u think I was giving bad advice ducky? I guess everyone may have different opinions I'm just saying what works for me n the mates I fish with.
you just seem to have advice for absolutely everything that swims. I'm just enquiring about how much of it is gathered first hand. I know very few people who use sabiki jigs successfully inshore.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:33 pm

ducky wrote:
BIG GAV wrote:
ducky wrote:
BIG GAV wrote:Weedy areas or near reef will hold bait fish berley up with a few pellets or a log n work the sabiki rigs around it

I've found once u get hit on a sabiki rig don't pull it up straight away as quite often other fish will take the remaining hooks!

I'm not sure what bait fish are around Portland but I'm sure you'll get onto a few livies!
How many times have you honestly done this gav?
More than some less than others I guess.. What's it's meant to mean anyway? Do u think I was giving bad advice ducky? I guess everyone may have different opinions I'm just saying what works for me n the mates I fish with.
you just seem to have advice for absolutely everything that swims. I'm just enquiring about how much of it is gathered first hand. I know very few people who use sabiki jigs successfully inshore.
I like to fish for anything that swims.. From Redfin to gummies carp to kings I'm not biased.. I'm not saying anything I do is "the way" to do it but it's the way it has worked for us..

Was my advice wrong?
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:39 pm

Also if u are in the bay fishing for your whiting or snapper.. Drop the sabiki rig down if you have a log down there ducky Youd be suprised what you'll come up with..
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:35 am

I use a scaled up version of a sabiki rig off the rocks to catch bait. Made it up with 2 inch rubber squid skirts, works well on salmon and tommy rough.
Cast, catch and put it back

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:37 am

I dont' think i've ever actually hooked anything on a sabiki in Victoria.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:44 am

can't give any advice on using the sabikis but it's worth bringing some squid jigs with you have heard of a few being caught and that they are one of the better baits in the area. I haven't been to portland myself but in general look for a weedy/reefy bottom in 3m+ of water and you should find them.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:06 am

DougieK wrote:I dont' think i've ever actually hooked anything on a sabiki in Victoria.
I foul hooked mullet after mullet at Somers by ripping a sabiki through a school that was checking out my burley trail :rofl:
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:12 am

DougieK wrote:I dont' think i've ever actually hooked anything on a sabiki in Victoria.
I've never hooked anything land based. In a boat however i used to have one out religiously. It was almost always the line that got the most action. The trouble is in PPB you catch mostly Flatties, hundreds of them, but 90% of them undersized. They can salvage a slow day if you feel like sorting thru the throw backs.

In wpb, there seems to be a lot more slimies and yakkas that take the sabiki, however I stopped using it there too, because both seem to be a lot bigger than the PPB models, and you haven't seen a tangle until you have seen a 40cm slimey do circle work on a sabiki around three other lines. A baited paternoster rig with sz6 long shanks seems to catch them just as good anyhow.

My old man dropped a sabiki down in 20mtrs off Portland and thought he was onto something huge. Turned out to be a string of 5x 25cm micro pinkies. I've never laughed so hard in my life.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:14 am

Scraglor wrote: My old man dropped a sabiki down in 20mtrs off Portland and thought he was onto something huge. Turned out to be a string of 5x 25cm micro pinkies. I've never laughed so hard in my life.
HAHAHAHAHA

At Urangan Jetty at Hervey Bay in QLD it's literally 2-3 fish per cast. pike, herring, even tailor. All sorts of stuff just jumps on them.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:17 am

DougieK wrote:
Scraglor wrote: My old man dropped a sabiki down in 20mtrs off Portland and thought he was onto something huge. Turned out to be a string of 5x 25cm micro pinkies. I've never laughed so hard in my life.
HAHAHAHAHA

At Urangan Jetty at Hervey Bay in QLD it's literally 2-3 fish per cast. pike, herring, even tailor. All sorts of stuff just jumps on them.
I've followed the urangan jetty rod hire page on Facebook... God damn I want to fish that pier

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”