Blanket Bay

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
The Professor
Has liked: 3 times

Blanket Bay

Post by The Professor » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:44 pm

Hi all

I've just booked a campsite at Blanket Bay for Easter. I know it's a long way off but I've only just got back into fishing having not done it for close to 20yrs (since childhood, essentially), so I'm quite excited about taking my rod. I don't have a surf rod, so wondering what the best options might be in terms of location, what I should be trying to catch, any other tips. The nature of the trip means I probably won't be going far to find a fishing spot, maybe even just walking from the campsite.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks for your help.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Blanket Bay

Post by DougieK » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:03 pm

Hey prof,

Few questions. What is your fitness level like, do you mind walking beaches or rock ledges, how much experience do you have on a space exposed to the open ocean, are you familiar with soft plastics, do you like fishing with lures or bait, is it just you or a few people and what kind of gear do you have?

That whole area is decent for salmon, mullet, trevally and later in the evening i'd guess gummies exist but from the sounds of it you'll have trouble targetting them.

Give us a bit of information and i'll talk you through some ideas.

Awesome location, been snorkelling down there a few times, never fished it though.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

The Professor
Has liked: 3 times

Post by The Professor » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:05 pm

Thanks, Dougie.

My set-up is a 2.45m rod, 4-6kg, and reel size is (line capacity kg/m): 5/350, 6/310, 8/220.

I just spent a week down near Sandy Point fishing with a paternoster rig – because that's what my rod/reel came with... I have limited experience but a willingness to try new things. Probably prefer the idea of bait fishing, but then that's all I know. My main preference is to use a technique that's going to catch me a fish!

I'm pretty fit and happy to walk, but a weak swimmer so not keen to risk being washed off a rock!

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:59 pm

Even a strong swimmer can be washed off the rocks
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:04 pm

The Professor wrote:Thanks, Dougie.

My set-up is a 2.45m rod, 4-6kg, and reel size is (line capacity kg/m): 5/350, 6/310, 8/220.

I just spent a week down near Sandy Point fishing with a paternoster rig – because that's what my rod/reel came with... I have limited experience but a willingness to try new things. Probably prefer the idea of bait fishing, but then that's all I know. My main preference is to use a technique that's going to catch me a fish!

I'm pretty fit and happy to walk, but a weak swimmer so not keen to risk being washed off a rock!

Blanket bay is fairly safe. Find a deep patch with a sandy bottom, cast your paternoster there with fresh squid or pipi or pilchard strips. Try and fish high tide on dawn or dusk i guess.

I'm more of a spin guy, someone else might have some better insight.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:10 pm

I have fished parker inlet around the corner from there and get a multitude of different species. Most of them are types of wrasse unfortunately. It has a really good rock platform there that is somewhat sheltered from the swell. Also at blanket bay it is worth taking some goggles and a pocket knife for a few abalone.

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”