portland tuna charter trip 8th & 9th May

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
brycieboy

portland tuna charter trip 8th & 9th May

Post by brycieboy » Wed May 14, 2014 8:57 am

Just a quick fishing report as i dont think i have done one yet. and this time i have fish to show.

i had always wanted to catch a tuna, tho i dont have many friends who are into fishing so i couldnt get enough people to book a boat so i booked some individual spots.

My first trip was a failed attemp due to weather on the 2nd, to say i was devostated is an understatment, after a 5 hour drive and accomodation for the night my charter got canned at 5 in the morning so i was forced to come back home without hitting the water.

Determind i rebooked for the 8th and 9th.

on the 8th i fished with Reel Time, there was 8 of us on the boat for the charter. unfortunatly for some we only landed 5 fish that day so a few guys missed out. I was lucky i grabbed the first rod that went off and landed a fish in the boat. i think i had the biggest grin on my face i was so happy to have finally caught a decent fish. after that i stood back to let the others have a crack.

On the 9th i fished with Sharkmen. i have done a few trips with Wayne and highly recomend his buisness. This time i think there was 7 of us on the boat. the weather was pretty rough compared to the previous day tho his new boat takes it very well. Wayne got us onto the fish. we had a few multiple hookups, ended up with 10 fish for the day. i managed 2 for myself so was rapped!

so for my first real tuna trip i came home with 3. and have been eating tuna for every meal since!

CanuckDownUnder

Re: portland tuna charter trip 8th & 9th May

Post by CanuckDownUnder » Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 am

Awesome! I've been seriously looking at getting out to Portland to head out for some tuna. I wanted to last year but kept procrastinating, this year I've told myself I won't miss the season and this post is good inspiration for me to book.

Thanks for the recommendation on Sharkmen, I've had trouble weighing out the different charter companies as there aren't very many reviews out there, especially not comparing the companies.

Know if they'll still be firing come Queens Birthday? With a 10 hour round trip drive I'd rather spend a long weekend to make it worthwhile.

Also what are the chances of catching a real barrel? All beautiful fish there that would make me very happy but I dream of catching a giant barrel.
"Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks." - Jeff Foxworthy

Birdman

Re: portland tuna charter trip 8th & 9th May

Post by Birdman » Wed May 14, 2014 12:55 pm

I did a charter two weeks ago, bagged out and had a ball, loved that reel scream as they took off!
My hobbies are fishing and golf, I guess I just like frustration..

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”