Lorne Pier Squid

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
stingray4

Lorne Pier Squid

Post by stingray4 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:54 am

Housemate and I made the hike over to Lorne Wednesday arvo in hopes of some squid action. Stopped off at the Anglesea tackleshop on the way to be told of a 200kg+ seal and its pup ruining the fishing at Lorne since easter.
Arrived at Lorne pier 4pm and walked straight to the end in front of the filleting table where a bloke was packing up, so did the old switcheroo with him. An older bloke came over and set up his one rod and chair squeezed in next to my housemate and I, nice guy so it didn't bother us.
The Seal was having a good old fashioned relax over on the rocks, and he stayed there the whole time we fished thankfully. it took about 10 minutes until the housemate landed the first squid on a surecatch 2.5 pink jig, pretty small squid, hood was a bit bigger than the palm of the average hand. i got a 3.0 pink rogue jig and landed 7 within 2 hours, one was just short of a kilo, one about
500g and the rest slightly bigger than the palm of a hand..the old guy next to me hooked a big one easy 1.5kg and i ran like a spastic down the pier to find a drop net to land it, success, we got it up on the pier. the bloke was extremely happy and thankful for everyones help.
we were ready to call it a night by 7, i cleanead all our squid up and started to pack all the gear up to go home and grab my last rod with a pillie on a squid spike sitting at half depth and theres another 500g squid wrapped around it.. cleaned him up and went home.
calamari, mushroom and chorizo risotto was delicious last night..

also I had heavy set up surf rod out the whole time with a 20cm eel fillet hang bait on it, untouched.

MrAk

Re: Lorne Pier Squid

Post by MrAk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:52 pm

dam the nice hmm i might head there soon =) thx for the report

Jeffs_gone_fishing

Post by Jeffs_gone_fishing » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:06 pm

Well done stingray4, nice sizes there.

stingray4

Post by stingray4 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:11 pm

thanks guys, do recommend heading there and risking the seals, it was a fun and productive session

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:27 pm

Great report!

Lorne is a great pier when the seal isn't around but like you said, its a big risk to take. More than half the times iv been there, the seal has been harassing the fish.

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”