The biggest fish of my life.

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Jaka474

The biggest fish of my life.

Post by Jaka474 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:39 am

I arrived at Lorne at about 4 oclock to do some river fishin for bream, damn fish were too smart for our lures so we moved on to the Lorne Pier. After arrive and finding that it was packed to the top, we eventually found a spot. It was about 8:30 and we hadnt had any bites on our lures yet and then as soon as the sun went down... I Hooked my biggest fish. A Barracuda! It was a hard fight to bring him back to the pier from so far out, he took a couple of runs and i finally got him to the pier on my 2-4kg lure rod with 6lb braid and 15lb flurocarbon. He looked about 80cm or more and i was yellin out to anyone if they had a landing net because the pier was so high up from the water! And you know what? Nobody did... He took one more run just as i was going to attempt to lift him up and he bit through my line and off he went! I was so Disappointed that i didnt have a landing net, but ill definitely be fishing there more often aha! and i hopefully remember to take some wire trace. Had a great time tho!

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: The biggest fish of my life.

Post by CarlG » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:44 am

Jaka474 wrote:I arrived at Lorne at about 4 oclock to do some river fishin for bream, damn fish were too smart for our lures so we moved on to the Lorne Pier. After arrive and finding that it was packed to the top, we eventually found a spot. It was about 8:30 and we hadnt had any bites on our lures yet and then as soon as the sun went down... I Hooked my biggest fish. A Barracuda! It was a hard fight to bring him back to the pier from so far out, he took a couple of runs and i finally got him to the pier on my 2-4kg lure rod with 6lb braid and 15lb flurocarbon. He looked about 80cm or more and i was yellin out to anyone if they had a landing net because the pier was so high up from the water! And you know what? Nobody did... He took one more run just as i was going to attempt to lift him up and he bit through my line and off he went! I was so Disappointed that i didnt have a landing net, but ill definitely be fishing there more often aha! and i hopefully remember to take some wire trace. Had a great time tho!
Barracouta.
And well done.!

Leftcoaster

Post by Leftcoaster » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:18 am

Nice one mate! If you're keen on big pelargics now, plan a trip to NW W.A! Somewhere around Shark Bay/Exmouth would do it. You'll find everything up there mate, from big barracouta to massive Spanish macks, plus the bottom bouncing up there is phenomenal. Just look out for the Noah's! :shark:
Club sandwiches not seals.

rogs
Has liked: 1 time

Post by rogs » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:40 pm

and dont forget drop or landing net with you coz big skippies and sambos there sometimes and even snapper :fishing:

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:43 pm

NICE WORK HEHEHE as carl mentioned lol nice couta ;)
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Good stuff Jaka. :fish11:

Linc

Post by Linc » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:29 pm

Sounds like it gave you quite a thrill, they are a great fish to catch! I've found they are a bit shy of wire traces unless they're really thick, but gang hooks in a whole pilchard fool them every time.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:58 pm

Nice.....would have been a little bit of fun on that light gear......

Jaka474

Post by Jaka474 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:04 pm

yeah it was a heap of fun, one day a few weeks ago i went out on the boat off queenscliff and landed 33 Couta all together between the 3 of us! i caught all mine on soft plastics! but they were all around the 40 - 60cm

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:57 am

Good Fish mate!
Almost exactly this time last year my mate did exactly the same at Lorne Pier, Except this one twisted round a Pylon and then bit off.
Wily Fish those Coutas! Musta been a Local :D

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”