Anglesea and Surrounds Help

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
HarryS11

Anglesea and Surrounds Help

Post by HarryS11 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:21 pm

I'm staying at Anglesea for a week or so and am looking to get a bit of fishing in, the problem is I'm a complete novice when it comes to anything salt.
I'm wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction. I'm hoping to get a couple of king George whiting (or just whiting in general), squid and flathead while I'm here.
I'm land based but fine with travelling up to 30km. Most beach fishing is also out because I don't have a surf rod.
Time, tide, bait, and location advice would all be very helpful.

Thanks for the much-needed advice
-Harry

ingeer

Re: Anglesea and Surrounds Help

Post by ingeer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:15 am

Just to make sure you are not fishing in the marine sanctuary...
Lorne pier is a good spot if you drive down a little bit

Lecterfan

Post by Lecterfan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:17 am

If you're chasing whiting and are happy with school whiting also then you don't necessarily need a surf rod to fish some of the beaches in the area...not all of them are full blown 'surf' beaches with distant gutters...in fact there are two fairly sheltered bays either side of the river that you can hit up with light tackle, a 6-9ft rod, maybe some berley and off you go. You will get a feel for the lay of the land. Change of tide, high or low, but be prepared to get your feet wet...if being quiet and using a touch of barley you can get onto them in less than a metre of water.

I have also fished the far western end of Eastern View (past fair haven) on lighter tackle by wading out a little bit and casting light gear around with some fresh squid on it and slowly dragging it around. You can generally get onto something doing that.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:30 am

ingeer wrote:Just to make sure you are not fishing in the marine sanctuary...
Lorne pier is a good spot if you drive down a little bit
I agree with that. Was there about a month and a half ago and my girlfriend caught some nice squid from the pier right at the end on the right side. Saw a young kid pull up a monster. Looked around 2-2.5 kg from the ramp on the left side of the pier :thumbsup:

ingeer

Post by ingeer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:38 am

Lecterfan wrote:If you're chasing whiting and are happy with school whiting also then you don't necessarily need a surf rod to fish some of the beaches in the area...not all of them are full blown 'surf' beaches with distant gutters...in fact there are two fairly sheltered bays either side of the river that you can hit up with light tackle, a 6-9ft rod, maybe some berley and off you go. You will get a feel for the lay of the land. Change of tide, high or low, but be prepared to get your feet wet...if being quiet and using a touch of barley you can get onto them in less than a metre of water.

I have also fished the far western end of Eastern View (past fair haven) on lighter tackle by wading out a little bit and casting light gear around with some fresh squid on it and slowly dragging it around. You can generally get onto something doing that.
Very good advice, Lecterfan what kind of berley you were throwing? pellets?

Lecterfan

Post by Lecterfan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:01 pm

If I'm in ~1m water I'll often have a barley bag tied to my ankle with some pellets or just a loaf of bread. Give it some tuna oil if you don't mind scrubbing it off your skin/waders and aren't too fussed about the odd stingray...if that idea freaks you out then back right off to less than knee deep water or back off the oil. I once fished torquay at low tide with this method and had a school of garfish swimming around me...of course they wouldn't take a bait and I had no net haha...they just kept powering through the barley trail.

I, for one, won't be fishing Lorne pier again for a long time for a multitude of reasons.

Land based fishing around Anglesea itself is a long way from where the Pt Addis marine park finishes. You can't really fish in there by accident unless you've walked North a good couple of country miles (like easily 5 or 6 kms following the beach itself) before getting to it.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:06 pm

Can you fish from the rocks at Point Roadknight? As in, I figure you can wet a line from there but is it likely to produce fish?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lecterfan

Post by Lecterfan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:40 pm

I've not tried to be honest - it looks a bit snaggy and with so many good rocks within another 20 odd mins drive I've not given it a go: has anyone else?

...but on the inside of those rocks in the sheltered bay can be a a lot of fun, and I reckon you could strike it lucky soaking big fresh baits on the right night there.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:15 pm

On the other hand, snags are where the fish are...

I might have a crack next time I'm down that way.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lecterfan

Post by Lecterfan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:24 pm

Yea, sorry by snaggy I don't mean the bottom so much (as you say, you need the structure etc), but just one of those pain in the bum spots when retrieving line and (on those rare occasions) when hooked up haha. Still, with long rods and the absence of other fishos spots are always worth a go for sure! Let me know what you reckon if you have a crack. Cheers.

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”